FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: In Belfast tonight and hoping to swing by the factory

My VIN:    11596

In Belfast tonight and hoping to swing by the factory

Hi guys,

Found myself staying overnight in Belfast and I'd love to check out the factory grounds. Is there is a plaque or any landmarks in Belfast that a DeLorean owner would want to get some photos of??

Thanks!

Andy
    VIN 11596
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

DeLorean Historian / Administrator Tamir A.'s Avatar

My VIN:    11474

You won't find much at the factory worth seeing. Anything DMC related has been stripped out minus the test track. But you wouldn't be able to get on grounds to even see that as it is an active factory.

But if you can find time to go to the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum, then you can see a bunch of cool DMC History. Here is a link to some of the things you'd be able to see there: http://www.entermyworld.com/carshows...est-01-p1?pg=2

Best,
    T
    Fan of all things DeLorean!

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Tamir A. View Post
    You won't find much at the factory worth seeing. Anything DMC related has been stripped out minus the test track. But you wouldn't be able to get on grounds to even see that as it is an active factory.

But if you can find time to go to the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum, then you can see a bunch of cool DMC History. Here is a link to some of the things you'd be able to see there: http://www.entermyworld.com/carshows...est-01-p1?pg=2

Best,
    T
    Thanks Tamir,

I did park in the industrial park and walked literally through the swamp between the factory and Montupet. Snapped a few pics, saw the entrance to the test track, and had a few odd looks from some staff on a smoke break. At least I can say I saw it!

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Does the company that owns the plant give tours? I'm going to Belfast in October.

My VIN:    10588

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I went to Belfast and did exactly the same thing. I was by myself and I found the gates to the original test track behind the old folks home. I then went up to the gate of the old factory and took a couple photos with my toy DeLorean on the gate before a heavily armed gentleman came out and told me I needed to leave. I guess they make missiles there now? It was still one of the coolest things to be there. It took me about an hour to find the road that got me back to where the test track entrance was. But if you read in Barry Wills book, it talks about how the engineer that designed the track wanted to make sure there were a ton of trees everywhere around the track so that onlookers couldn't peek in and see the new DeLorean models. Boy is that the case, because I had a heck of a time finding the track. But it is still there. Went to a local bar after and asked some of the people there if anyone worked with DeLorean and a couple of the guys there had their parents that worked in the factory and a couple people had friends that worked there but no one immediately worked in the factory. Everyone was very friendly and my car didn't blow up (Irish plates) but I did have to pay an extra $25 per day to my rental car company after I told them I was going to the north.

Go to the factory gates and check it out. It doesn't look like much but it's a cool thing to stand there. I loved it. I thought it was the coolest thing to be standing there, although it took me an entire day to find it, I'd do it again.
    -Luigi-
    Thank you ALL for your patience and your tremendous help!

1982 VIN#10588 Build Date Dec '81

My VIN:    4087

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclearbacon View Post
    I went to Belfast and did exactly the same thing. I was by myself and I found the gates to the original test track behind the old folks home. I then went up to the gate of the old factory and took a couple photos with my toy DeLorean on the gate before a heavily armed gentleman came out and told me I needed to leave. I guess they make missiles there now? It was still one of the coolest things to be there. It took me about an hour to find the road that got me back to where the test track entrance was. But if you read in Barry Wills book, it talks about how the engineer that designed the track wanted to make sure there were a ton of trees everywhere around the track so that onlookers couldn't peek in and see the new DeLorean models. Boy is that the case, because I had a heck of a time finding the track. But it is still there. Went to a local bar after and asked some of the people there if anyone worked with DeLorean and a couple of the guys there had their parents that worked in the factory and a couple people had friends that worked there but no one immediately worked in the factory. Everyone was very friendly and my car didn't blow up (Irish plates) but I did have to pay an extra $25 per day to my rental car company after I told them I was going to the north. Go to the factory gates and check it out. It doesn't look like much but it's a cool thing to stand there. I loved it. I thought it was the coolest thing to be standing there, although it took me an entire day to find it, I'd do it again.
    Charging you extra for going to the north is scandalous. Absolutely no need for that - which company if you don't mind me asking?

My VIN:    10588

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Dug through my travel stuff... Sixt was the company. Bright orange. Watched a lady who clearly had never driven a stick nor been on the opposite side of the car slowly drive into a pole in the parking lot. Just kept pushing into it after she hit. Fastastic trip!
    -Luigi-
    Thank you ALL for your patience and your tremendous help!

1982 VIN#10588 Build Date Dec '81

My VIN:    4087

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nuclearbacon View Post
    Dug through my travel stuff... Sixt was the company. Bright orange. Watched a lady who clearly had never driven a stick nor been on the opposite side of the car slowly drive into a pole in the parking lot. Just kept pushing into it after she hit. Fastastic trip!
    Lol! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

The last time I was there, I used Sixt too, but I don't recall if they charged me danger money to go up north.

I had originally booked Advantage via Travelocity only to arrive in Dublin airport and find that Advantage didn't have a spot there so I had to get walk-up rates at Sixt. I did manage to negotiate the lighting poles, though, in my Clio.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"