FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Just got pulled over for doing 88

My VIN:    7178

Club(s):   (DMA)

You were on the news spot on the radio on 98.3fm this morning in South Jersey.
    You're everywhere! Coast to coast!
    "If you're going to spend your inheritance on a car, why not do it with some style!"

My VIN:    2347

Heard you on the radio in Minnesota 93.7 kxxr
    Everyone is tough through a keyboard

My VIN:    06201

On Norwegian radio today!

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    Did you take a close look at the ticket to see if there were any errors on it? I've heard (but not tested this myself) that if the cop wrote down your plate wrong or something like that, it can be an automatic dismissal. I once showed up at the courthouse and they couldn't find my ticket in the system (which was lucky for me since it was my 2nd one in a year). Crossing my fingers that you have an error in your favor! I read a book on how to get out of tickets once that said your case can be dismissed if the cop doesn't show up in court to testify. Maybe the guy will cut you a break since he obviously found you to be the highlight of his day. Whatever you do, don't piss off the judge if you contest the ticket - one of my coworkers went to court and the judge doubled his fine because they thought he had a bad attitude or something.
    I read a book like that once called Beat the Cops that had the same kinds of advice. But from my experience, the only 2 things I've ever genuinely seen work are to be nice and respectful through the whole process, and to get a lawyer.

It all depends upon the court, but for a simple typo, most will probably be forgiving to the officer. To really get a ticket dismissed for a paperwork error, it has to be something major, and I've only ever seen that twice. Both times were major screw-ups like the incorrect make/model/year of vehicle, or wrong time/location.

Even if the officer doesn't show up, the court can still reschedule the hearing/trial for a later date to accommodate them. So that's not always a sure thing. But yes, definitely always be polite and respectful to the judge, and the officer themselves. If something is wrong with the ticket, the side of the road is not the place to argue it. That's for the courtroom. And once you do get into court, be early, be polite, speak loud & clear, and above all, dress appropriately. Last time I got a ticket was years ago in Houston proper. I had a ticket attorney just in case, but after the 3 sets of roll being called, and another 40 minutes later, my lawyer summoned me up to the court clerk's desk. She told me that the officer wasn't here just yet, but would be for other cases. However, they also had an activity log the officer had submitted with her paperwork where she noted that I was pleasant to deal with and respectful during the traffic stop. So because of that, and my clean record, they were just going to dismiss my case. 5 minutes later I was walking out of the courtroom.

Otherwise, just get an attorney who most of the time can just get the ticket amended and converted to non-moving violations. You still pay the same amount as the initial fine, but no points on your license, no increase in insurance premiums, and no problems with future jobs if you ever go for one that might require operating a company vehicle.

Now granted if you got pulled over driving a DeLorean doing 88, and then got some notoriety off of that across the internet and various other news outlets, that makes things a bit more difficult for an attorney to advocate on your behalf. After all, while perhaps not monetarily, you did after all just profit or benefit in some way for violating the law.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    10162

I'm glad people are enjoying the story, although I didn't think it would get big at all. How it all started was I did an interview with my local newspaper and it just got out of control. I thought that only some hardcore BTTF fans and DeLorean junkies would care. To be honest I'm sick to death of the whole thing. I've been on Good Morning America, CBS, ABC and a radio program for the BBC. Today I just did a thing with Inside Edition. The interview I did with the LA Times I feel is the best representation.

On the Inside Edition thing I actually went and met the cop and we talked on camera and shook hands and whatnot. I got to chat with the guy offscreen and he really is a nice guy. As far as I'm concerned the officer is just a guy who was doing his job, and I was speeding and I do deserve the ticket so I'm not even going to try to contest it in any way shape or form. Even if I wanted to contest the ticket after all this press stuff I don't think it would be a good idea. The California Highway Patrol are having fun with the story, and actually told me that it is good press for them.

I just got an email coming to my very very private school email account for a ticket fighting company that offered their services for free and that whole thing feels kinda sleazy. I'm just going to pay the ticket, go to traffic school so I can avoid getting points on my license and move on.

I'll frame the ticket, keep some of the newspaper articles and show them off at car shows.

I do apologize if this story has been blowing up on social media and if you are sick of hearing about it, know that am I sick of it too.

Last night I had CBS showed up on my doorstep unannounced just as I was going to bed, and I had to pull the DeLorean out and do a interview after being awake for almost 30 hours. The CBS guy was nice, but maybe I should have just kept the lights out and went to bed. I only did the Inside Edition thing because they contacted me beforehand.

I have now stopped answering my phone, which goes off about every half hour with strange numbers even now as I post this. I feel like the story has been told and I am very uncomfortable in any kind of spotlight. Its kind of creepy how press people can track you down, I have a private phone number and my Facebook has pretty high privacy settings, but they found a way. They even tracked down my mom's phone number.

I've only had a DeLorean for a month and I can tell you this car is a star, people love it and I guess thats why this story and others like it get so big. Its kind of heavy (see what I did there) to own a DeLorean and the experience has been an odd one for me, especially with the story blowing up so soon after buying it.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Life lesson.....dont speed in a delorean unless youre ready to become known internationally...lol

I still find the whole thing absurd that it would get so much coverage...I could see it if maybe you had killed 43 people during your flux fueled rampage..but it was just a speeding violation...Maybe its kinda like finding evidence of UFO's.... 'omg there's proof a delorean can actually go fast'....lol

Can understand that you'd stop answering calls and go into hiding..specially having just bought the car
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10907

Fame is a cruel mistress

Seriously though, hang in there. A week from now some celebrity will do something stupid on Twitter and everybody will forget about this. But at least all the gas station car shows you have to look forward to will seem like small potatoes now.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Here's a trick...just requires a couple of fridge boxes, some paint and some duct tape.....make a uhm... 'body kit' in the shape of an AMC Pacer and put it over your car...you'll be incognito..
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

For all of the news these days, a story like this kind of lightens things up a little so I don't find it all that bad. It also is great publicity for the Delorean brand. Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame and if you can parley it into something all the better. I would still go into the court and plead for mercy, they may reduce the fine. If you are of the mindset to pay it anyway, anything you can do to reduce it is a win. Taking the points will probably affect your insurance, if not for the Delorean than for your daily driver. Here in NJ they have what some call the $400 special deal. The ticket is pleaded down to a non moving violation. No points, the local court gets to keep most of the money (they don't have to split as much with the State) and you pay the full amount. If the officer agrees, the prosecutor will accept it. Talk to the prosecutor and/or the officer before court begins and see what they have in mind for you. Maybe take the car to a local hospital for some kids to sit in for community service or a DARE program?
    Last edited by David T; 05-31-2017 at 07:57 PM.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    10201

Can't believe I missed out on all this attention for going too fast lol. I was doing 91mph when i got a speeding ticket.

I didnt have an angle drive at the time, so I put one in. When I went to court, I brought my receipt and explained the situation. The judge dismissed the ticket and I had to pay court costs. That was the best case scenario I could hope for. It was also somewhat risky, since I knew not having a working speedo might also be a fine. If it's your first speeding offense, they often have something that you can do to have the ticket dismissed, but you always end up paying. I've gone to court twice for tickets and I have never seen the ticketing officer there, so I don't know where this "if the officer doesnt show up, your ticket gets dismissed" logic comes from.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast