FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Just got pulled over for doing 88

My VIN:    10162

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Exactly.....I've done it multiple times.

Some of the lawyers I've seen in traffic court might not have been boogymen, but they were certainly nutjobs (and aggravating for the judge.)

-I have walked into court, asked for a pre-trial conference with the prosecutor, and walked out without points.

-I've approached a judge and said: "I have my checkbook in one hand, a positive attitude in the other, and I'd really like to make a deal." (paid a fine....no points.)

The whole system is a money-making sham....they just want to make money. If I get another ticket that risks anything more than a fine, I'm approaching the prosecutor in the hallway, yo......
    I like this idea, it couldn't hurt to try, right? While the CHP assured me that the points won't have much of an impact as long as I take traffic school I'm not really sure I should trust them. I've tried looking stuff up on California law regarding points and things seem to get a bit murky, clear answers seem hard to come by. Some things contradict what the CHP said to me, others seem to back it up. Seems best to just try to get out of the points altogether and talking to the court or judge informally sounds perfect. I mean tickets are really just a scam to get money, I don't mind paying up for the ticket but I don't want any points following me around.

How is the best way you have approached a judge, like how to you find them etc. before the hearing without annoying them? I haven't had a traffic violation since the 90's when I was a teenager, and back then I just paid up and moved on, never went to court (I've was driving an old Volvo station wagon before the DeLorean, you can get away with murder in that thing). In fact I have never been in a court room in my entire life. So all of this is new to me.

I don't know if you guys want to keep this thread alive, but I think it could continue to be an interesting discussion on dealing with traffic tickets.

My VIN:    5470

Quote Originally Posted by Boingonut View Post
    I like this idea, it couldn't hurt to try, right? While the CHP assured me that the points won't have much of an impact as long as I take traffic school I'm not really sure I should trust them. I've tried looking stuff up on California law regarding points and things seem to get a bit murky, clear answers seem hard to come by. Some things contradict what the CHP said to me, others seem to back it up. Seems best to just try to get out of the points altogether and talking to the court or judge informally sounds perfect. I mean tickets are really just a scam to get money, I don't mind paying up for the ticket but I don't want any points following me around.

How is the best way you have approached a judge, like how to you find them etc. before the hearing without annoying them? I haven't had a traffic violation since the 90's when I was a teenager, and back then I just paid up and moved on, never went to court (I've was driving an old Volvo station wagon before the DeLorean, you can get away with murder in that thing). In fact I have never been in a court room in my entire life. So all of this is new to me.

I don't know if you guys want to keep this thread alive, but I think it could continue to be an interesting discussion on dealing with traffic tickets.
    I would lean towards the method someone suggested earlier. Agree to pay the fine, but perhaps offer to give rides to children in make-a-wish programs in exchange of the points (you'd need to promise not to speed with the kids in the car, of course). I think with all the publicity this has gotten, everyone would be up for that idea. You pay the fine so the police aren't seen publicly being light on speeders, make-a-wish gets some good press from the Marty-McFly-Speeder-guy, you are seen as a reformed speeder who sees the error of his ways and just wants to give back to his community. The $200 or so is not as damaging as the increase in your insurance if you get the points.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You cannot negotiate with the judge. You see the prosecutor. He is the lawyer that represents the State and is the one who can make a deal. He knows what the court wants and what the judge can reasonably accept. Everyone is going to get a good laugh out of this and they will go light on you if you cooperate. Offering to do some form of community service can also generate more good publicity so offer it BEFORE you take out your checkbook. As much as they want money, they know good publicity is worth something too.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You cannot negotiate with the judge. You see the prosecutor. He is the lawyer that represents the State and is the one who can make a deal. He knows what the court wants and what the judge can reasonably accept. Everyone is going to get a good laugh out of this and they will go light on you if you cooperate. Offering to do some form of community service can also generate more good publicity so offer it BEFORE you take out your checkbook. As much as they want money, they know good publicity is worth something too.
    I think he needs advice on access to the prosecutor before he sees the judge.

Things vary from court to court; if this was in my small town, I'd show up early on the court date and ask anyone that looks important who the prosecutor is. Your area might be an entirely different dynamic, hopefully someone else will have some advice...

BTW, don't underestimate your amiable good looks, they'll get you further than some will admit. Hell, I'd even bring my Mom if I were you.

My VIN:    1420

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Call the press, "I'm the 88 mph guy. I'll give you an exclusive if you pay my fine".....(and fix my a/c ) Simple...done.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

That won't help with getting points and it's hard to give anyone an exclusive now that he has given out interviews to others already. No, the thing to offer is community service and all of the additional publicity a happy ending to a light story can get. Can you imagine him and the officer that gave him the ticket at a hospital with a bunch of happy kids all around it? You can't buy that kind of publicity.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    That won't help with getting points and it's hard to give anyone an exclusive now that he has given out interviews to others already. No, the thing to offer is community service and all of the additional publicity a happy ending to a light story can get. Can you imagine him and the officer that gave him the ticket at a hospital with a bunch of happy kids all around it? You can't buy that kind of publicity.
    +1

Can you help the OP with advice on getting a conversation with the prosecutor?

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8