FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Driving 4728

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    4519

Yesterday I made the final drive with 4728 to a dropoff point in my hometown. It was a great day for a drive and I had my daughter with me. Although feeling the usual seller's remorse, a friend from my local club stopped by with his DeLorean & kept me company while I waited for my wife to pick up my daughter & I. (That's much more assuring than you might expect.)

I had the sales experience I hoped for when selling 4728: I met with the new owner in person to inspect the car & test drive, discuss the work completed & needed, and answer all questions. I pointed out the good, as well as the bad.

When I bought 4728 from Casey in Mississippi, Steve checked it for me. It was dark, and the car wasn't properly prepared for a test drive (Steve had to get it running, needed air in a tire...etc.) Casey was good about sending pics & videos, but when I received the car I found undisclosed damage, [minor]parts missing, and felt the condition was somewhat misrepresented. But, it ran and has a nice solid southern frame, so I was satisfied....but the buying experience wasn't overly positive.

When I decided to sell 4728, I planned to give the next owner a proper DeLorean buying experience. I was also inspired by Jesse's experience he posted about, when he bought his car from Tom.

-I drove 60 miles to meet the buyer in a parking lot (in my hometown) ~10AM Sunday 10/18, planning 2 hours for questions & walkaround.
    -We went to a nearby Dunkin' Donuts for coffee & more discussion, and interacted with some civilians.
    -Noon appointment to put the car on a lift. We discussed the AC work, axle seal, stainless work needed.....etc.
    -20 mile road trip to meet with 2 other DeLoreans for coffee at 1PM. One of the DeLoreans is a car the new owner is familiar with from the late 80's.
    -20 mile return trip back, more discussion and to negotiate a price.

We agreed on a fair price and he wired the funds. He lives a few hours drive away in a nearby state, but the car will be in my hometown where my parents live, so I offered to deliver it for him.

The timing of the sale also went as planned; I hoped to get a full season of driving, then sell at the end of the season. I drove 53 times this year, totaling 4,517 miles. I'm a little sad to see it go, but I gained another DeLorean friend & club member, and hope to see the car semi-regularly at club meets when I'm driving 4519.

I logged a lot of miles & good times with 4728, and I believe I'll see many more with her and the new owner....
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 10-26-2020 at 09:22 AM.