FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Driving 4728

My VIN:    4519

Driving 4728

Instead of mucking up my resto thread with my random comments regarding experiences with my car, I'm starting a "post-resto" thread (credit: Jonathan.)

When I first got the car, I still had 10372 (sold, waiting to be picked up.)

P4130387.jpg

The initial plan was to drive while restoring, but it developed a horrible rapping noise under the valve cover (saga begins early in my resto thread: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?11...ing#post173562.) I sidelined the idea of driving it while diagnosing the noise and began working on other areas of the car. "While I'm in there" turned into dismantling the car to being a half frame-off. So, the 2-month plan turned into 2 years, but now I'm back on the road....this time with 5 gears instead of 3 (totally worth it, BTW.)

Last year I set a goal of being ready for driving season 2017, and very glad to say I accomplished it.....been driving for a few weeks now.

So....

Today I went for a drive to diagnose an odd stumbling at 2500 RPM.. I've been able to drive, but had to flutter-pump the pedal at 2500-32800 RPM....appears it was a vacuum line (I think.) Everything is 90% better now.

I stopped for gas and encountered a first: a female paparazzi. She was about my age and remembered when the car first came out. She asked for a few minutes of my time to have a closer look at the car. She was very nice and genuinely interested. I also had a dude ask for a closer look, his wife stayed at a distance from the car like my wife does (lol.)

Saw a few young guys looking shell-shocked....I think it's great that even the younger crowd really digs it.

Got the usual questions:

What type of engine, how many were made, what year is it....etc. And as usual, no cocaine jokes....total ripoff, I like the cocaine jokes.

Today was a great day!
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 05-28-2017 at 07:27 PM.

My VIN:    2706

So badass man....i am close. Can't wait for first drive .

Quote Originally Posted by powerline84 View Post
    So badass man....i am close. Can't wait for first drive .
    Yer almost there, bro!

Earlier this week I took my family for a drive to Martha's [famous] Ice cream place.....yep, family....as in; family of four -lol!

My 9 & 11 year old kids talked my wife into it. So picture this: my wife (who's not a DeLorean fan,) is squished into the front seat with my eldest while my youngest is in the back. She's paranoid about me getting pulled over, while I'm driving through busy Lake George (so I can drive slowly) and she's trying to ignore the DeLorazzi....lol. She said she's never gonna do that again...!

When we got home, I took her across town with just the two of us....she liked that much more, I think she's coming around.

While at the ice cream place, I had a few young guys come running up for pics. A nice family with two young boys pulled in; the boys where running laps around the car so I came over & opened the doors so they could sit in it for pics. My wife stays as far away as possible, but my youngest loves the excitement.

Awesome.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Lol...yeah I had the same idea to drive mine while restoring it slowly....funny didnt work out that way...

What'd you put a luggage rack on the back and strap your kids to it? Or just put 'em on leashes and said 'now try n keep up kids'?
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    2706

Sick!

My VIN:    10907

Lookin' sharp! Diggin' the plate, too...

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Very cool pics there
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Took my wife for a nice ride tonight, stopped for gas and ice cream....talked to about a dozen guys. I think my wife is getting used to the routine...haha!

While getting gas an older guy came over, very excited. He hadn't seen one since the early 80's and he's a big fan. First thing he mentioned was that JZD was totally framed. He said he recalled [back then] when he drove one it didn't have much HP, but he loved the car and was thrilled to see one again.

Most every guy approached and asked if I minded a closer look. Most asked about the type of engine, year, and weight. No cocaine jokes...totally gypped again.

On the way home my clutch pedal went to the floor.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast