FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Driving 4728

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    4519

Driving 4728

Instead of mucking up my resto thread with my random comments regarding experiences with my car, I'm starting a "post-resto" thread (credit: Jonathan.)

When I first got the car, I still had 10372 (sold, waiting to be picked up.)

P4130387.jpg

The initial plan was to drive while restoring, but it developed a horrible rapping noise under the valve cover (saga begins early in my resto thread: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?11...ing#post173562.) I sidelined the idea of driving it while diagnosing the noise and began working on other areas of the car. "While I'm in there" turned into dismantling the car to being a half frame-off. So, the 2-month plan turned into 2 years, but now I'm back on the road....this time with 5 gears instead of 3 (totally worth it, BTW.)

Last year I set a goal of being ready for driving season 2017, and very glad to say I accomplished it.....been driving for a few weeks now.

So....

Today I went for a drive to diagnose an odd stumbling at 2500 RPM.. I've been able to drive, but had to flutter-pump the pedal at 2500-32800 RPM....appears it was a vacuum line (I think.) Everything is 90% better now.

I stopped for gas and encountered a first: a female paparazzi. She was about my age and remembered when the car first came out. She asked for a few minutes of my time to have a closer look at the car. She was very nice and genuinely interested. I also had a dude ask for a closer look, his wife stayed at a distance from the car like my wife does (lol.)

Saw a few young guys looking shell-shocked....I think it's great that even the younger crowd really digs it.

Got the usual questions:

What type of engine, how many were made, what year is it....etc. And as usual, no cocaine jokes....total ripoff, I like the cocaine jokes.

Today was a great day!
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 05-28-2017 at 07:27 PM.