FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Air conditioner problem? Help!

Air conditioner oil

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Since you've had a significant leak and the system is open, you'll want to replace the accumulator (located next to the passenger's side front wheel). Doing the hoses isn't all that difficult. My low pressure hose is OEM and I was able to thread it through the body by taking a second jack and SLIGHTLY lifting up on just the tub which provided enough clearance to get it past. Just by a 1/4" or so. That's all you need.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to replace the orifice tube if it comes out easily. And if you do that, might as well flush both the condenser and evaporator. Sounds like a ton of work but it's not. Very easy.

I went with Hervey's split hoses and they've been on for about five years without any problems. You have GREAT options that I would consider better than mine through Rob and DPI. Not sure what DMC is offering in terms of split hoses (don't think so) or smaller diameter hoses that are barrier "certified" for r134a.

If the hose is your only problem, this isn't too bad of a job. If you're not sure what type of system you have, take a look at the high and low ports on the backside of the compressor. If they look like bicycle tire valves with brass caps, then you have R12. If they're larger and have red and blue caps, then it's been converted to r134a.

We're not far from each other. I have an AC vacuum, AC manifold gauge and hoses for R12, and R12. If you need some help, let me know. I don't have a ton of time lately but if you got just about everything ready to go and just need to pull a vacuum on the system and fill, we could do that. Probably the most difficult thing with all this would be getting the old accumulator out. The low side connection is commonly rusted up tight and it's a rough angle to get in there.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2