FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Treatment for my shark gills

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

And don't go crazy with the "Gel" stuff as it makes the parts a huge PITA to paint later, as the paint doesn't like to stick to anything with silicone in it. Best answer is really to paint, especially the fiberglass parts (upper side "gills"). Masking is not difficult.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    4055

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    And don't go crazy with the "Gel" stuff as it makes the parts a huge PITA to paint later, as the paint doesn't like to stick to anything with silicone in it. Best answer is really to paint, especially the fiberglass parts (upper side "gills"). Masking is not difficult.
    one of my side louver "gills" has a few scratches in it that I'd need to fill with some sort of putty/epoxy 1st before sanding and painting. color wise, they're nice and black, but i want to rid my self of the unsightly scratch.

any recommendation on what sort of filler to use? 2-part epoxy? bondo body filler putty?

Eastwood Plastic Resurfacer Matte Black Aerosol
    Item #15089Z Brand: Eastwood

Best stuff for plastic. Painted mirrors, side vents 2+ years ago and still look great! Highly recommend!

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by novadmc View Post
    one of my side louver "gills" has a few scratches in it that I'd need to fill with some sort of putty/epoxy 1st before sanding and painting. color wise, they're nice and black, but i want to rid my self of the unsightly scratch.

any recommendation on what sort of filler to use? 2-part epoxy? bondo body filler putty?
    UPol 706 for the filler. I used it on my fascia, works great and easy to work with If the scratches arent too deep you might also try a primer filler, as its pretty decent at filling in light scratches and imperfections.

for the paint I still recommend the SEM Trim black.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    02530

The trim black worked awesome for me. Very easy and an exact match to the factory color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    4055

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    UPol 706 for the filler. I used it on my fascia, works great and easy to work with If the scratches arent too deep you might also try a primer filler, as its pretty decent at filling in light scratches and imperfections.

for the paint I still recommend the SEM Trim black.
    thanks for the recommendation!
    yeah the 2 main scratches are too deep for primer filler. and yup - SEM trim black to repaint once filled sanded and primed. used SEM to rejuvenate my frunk and engine bay, rock screen, window cowling.... love the stuff.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you are redoing the "gills" aka rear sunshade, aka rear louver, you should repair any cracks to the center brace and install the S/S bracing to strengthen it before painting. Make sure both struts are in good shape and always open and close it evenly so you don't tweak it. Some owners (me included) have added a third brake light to it. I mounted mine with double-stick tape so there are no holes. I like a product called "Black Again" but the use of any of these kinds of products makes it much harder to prep and paint because most of them contain silicone.
    David Teitelbaum

All,
    I appreciate all the recommendations. Choices seem to be paint verses silicone based products. If I go with the silicone product for now but decide later to paint, am I screwed? is there a product (acetone) that will remove the silicone base? Or is it such a PITA that I should just go with the paint?

Thanks again for the advice,
    Ron

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

For what it's worth, I've never had any issue getting overspray off my stainless. That's not to say that you shouldn't mask off the stainless, but dont agonize over it. A little acetone and any overspray should wipe right off.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There are ways to remove the silicone and there are additives to minimize any silicone contamination. Using products containing silicone will not prevent you form painting in the future but it will require more prep.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2