FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The fate of #6041

My VIN:    Proto 1 and many other amazing Deloreans

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Indeed, 6041 is a storied car. Here's mine:

6041 was in part, the impetus for my detailed approach to my car's restoration. When I bought my car from Tony in 2013 I saw this car in the showroom and realized what a Delorean can be. I took lots of photos of this car, and I picked up a copy of the Delorean World issue that 6041's restoration was featured in to get me started. Although I was not aiming for a Concourse car, the level of restoration that Tony did/directed on this car inspired me to aim for this level of quality.

Mike, it disappointed me to have you dismiss the "overboard" effort that was done on this car when I visited last summer and complimented the car soon after meeting and sitting down to talk to you. You had only 6041 and Proto 1 stuffed on a rack in the corner of an overcrowded showroom of Lambos for me to browse. DMCFL did not look anything like a DMC dealer, and I worried about its future. When the move announcement was made after a few months, it didn't suprise me.

Anyway, after you referred me to DMC Houston when I asked for a paint code that was used on a part on the car I realized that you apparently had no passion/ knowledge for restoration of DeLoreans and/or were not involved in this car's restoration. In contrast, Tony spent ample time with me and had answers to all my restoration questions when I bought my car in the same space a few years before.

However, it seems that you have a newfound appreciation for all things DeLorean, so I hope you will do the right thing with respect to 6041.

Mike, I trust you will realize what this car symbolizes to the DeLorean community and will ensure through its sale that it passes to the next enthusiast that will carry on the stewardship of preservation. Agreeing to the crazy idea of parting out this Concourse car would be abhorrent.

The community is watching.

Josh, do you have to ask? It is very obvious.

Dana, I couldnt agree with you more on the overall restoration of #6041, its was done to a superior level and certainly one of the finest Deloreans I have ever encountered. Restoration is an art form and certainly #6041 is a Van Gogh

To be clear on this, #6041 was not here when you visited. It was in one of our off site climate controlled storage areas. #6041 arrived January 2017 after the construction of our exotic showroom was completed. From March 2016 until January 2017, we were complying with the request of DMCH to make a "free standing" Delorean showroom. In cases where dealerships are under renovation, space is limited and we only had four Deloreans present when you visited. Vin #10513 (which may have been the one you had mistaken as #6041 due to its high level of restoration), Vin #3453 another very well restored example, Proto 1 no need for any additional explanation on this one and Vin #0875.

The issues that you perceive as the demise of DMC FL (not to be mistaken with DMC Orlando) happened long before we started construction. From 2008 until they finally made the decision due to accumulative issues pertaining to improper protocol and or management where as DMC FL (not to be mistaken with DMC Orlando)was considered rogue by explanation from the hierarchy of DMCH. My full engagement in DMCFL (not to be mistaken with DMC Orlando) (handling purchase, sales, parts, service etc...) came in October 2015 after Tony was dismissed by the owner. Everything was dropped in my lap and all i had was 2 years of prior DMC knowledge to make things move smoothly. I think if you were to ask the last 17 people that purchased cars from me as well as the full restoration customers that came in during that time they would all agree that I did a great job of moving forward and keeping the DMC dream alive here. Even by DMCH admission, the move to Orlando had nothing at all to do with me, I was doing a great job. Thats why I was surprised when they did give me the news of the move. We were finally making good money, in the black for a change.

I do recall referring you to DMCH for the proper paint code and this was based on the fact that three body shops I use all had their version of the very same paint code, which ended up with several versions of the "right" color. I wanted to ensure 100% that you got the correct information directly from the source. I believe you told me you were doing all the restoration yourself, you bought an as is car. I had no record of you purchasing any parts whatsoever from us and we are in your home state. When I asked you, you had told me you were instructed to use the delorean.com parts store and it wouldnt matter one way or another where the parts came from. Sadly, during that ample time spent with Tony he didnt express this and make certain you were informed that this couldnt be further from the truth. I think you had said it was a previous mechanic or perhaps the service writer that told you this whatever the case, the idea behind the sale of the car is to also offer the support of parts and guidance so that another DMC can be saved and preserved. Purchasing from the franchise is also important to maintain their stability in business so that they are there when you truly need them. There were alot of local Florida DMC owners that were purchasing from other sources other than DMC FL (not to be mistaken with DMC Orlando) and hadnt been in this building since 2013 or earlier. So again, my efforts to restore the good name of DMCFL (not to be mistaken with DMC Orlando) was a huge up hill battle.

My turning point in the Delorean world was the DCS 2016 convention. I was asked to go in 2014 and I didnt, I kick myself in the butt for not attending. What a great event as well as some truly amazing people. A huge family for sure. Like no other car brand gathering I have ever seen.

Dana, this is where I am on the fence. Obviously, the restoration part of my soul(which I have many years of restoration skills pre Delorean) knows that the potential of a car being split or pieced out gives me chills. It would be one of those sales that I dont want to necessarily know the outcome. However, that being said, Josh made a good point about making two clients extremely happy (I dont know Josh at all, wouldnt know him if I tripped over him) so there is a part of me that realizes the car could potentially make two amazing cars. Im in business to sell Deloreans, make peoples dreams come true. If I were to sell #6041 to someone who decided to use it as a daily driver would that be any better? Basically, once its left my care, I can only hope its taken care of as well as it has been for many years. I can't predict who will show me the money for it.

Thank you Dana for taking the time to comment. I appreciate any criticism both good or bad. It helps me become better at what I do.
    Mike Fiore
    Gulfcoast Motorworks, Delorean Division
    www.gulfcoastmotorworks.com
    28701 Trails Edge Blvd
    Bonita Springs, FL. 34134
    239-495-8550
    239-405-7253

My VIN:    Proto 1 and many other amazing Deloreans

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I certainly hope you can understand why two vendors discussing parting out a concourse car to turn a profit, on an enthusiast website, would be upsetting to the enthusiasts. With the passion and capabilities you've shown, it surprises me that you would want to part out such a pristine car, especially since you clearly have the ability to take lesser quality cars and turn them into very high quality cars.
    Hey Nick,

I do get attached to certain Vin cars for whatever reason but unfortunately, we arent a museum so I do have to say goodbye to these cars as they sell. I couldnt exist as a profitable dealer if I got attached to each and every car or if I made customers sign a contract illustrating their intentions with a particular car they have interest in.

#6041 just happens to be that one car that will be the hardest to see it go. If Josh decided to purchase it, I can't decline him the option. He is an enthusiast just like everyone else, perhaps not to the same preservation level that everyone else may be but overall, he is doing what he does and I am doing what I do.

In a perfect world, someone like the previous owner of #6041 will step up and put her away for safe keeping allowing her amazing restoration to remain untouched. Thats my hope but again, I can't fully predict that. I am a couple of months from listing her for sale, this one has to be done to the nines, I owe that to her.

Mike
    Mike Fiore
    Gulfcoast Motorworks, Delorean Division
    www.gulfcoastmotorworks.com
    28701 Trails Edge Blvd
    Bonita Springs, FL. 34134
    239-495-8550
    239-405-7253

My VIN:    <2000

Quote Originally Posted by GCMW Deloreans View Post
    Dana, I couldnt agree with you more on the overall restoration of #6041, its was done to a superior level and certainly one of the finest Deloreans I have ever encountered. Restoration is an art form and certainly #6041 is a Van Gogh

Thank you Dana for taking the time to comment. I appreciate any criticism both good or bad. It helps me become better at what I do.

Mike,

You may be right about the physical presence of 6041 during my visits. The point being that 6041 IS a "Van Gogh ", a high water mark for those who restore their cars to shoot for. It should be treated as such. That's all, and I see from your comments in this unfortunate thread you understand the point being made by myself and others.

However, I'll add some perspective to your version of the "demise of DMCFL":

1) You said that the demise started in 2008. 2008 was the beginning of the worst recession in a generation and had long lasting effects. Many businesses simply closed or underwent some significantly changes. Let's not forget that.

2) You seem to paint Tony as the problem. If so...why would DMCH partner with him again in a move to a different location?
    I can tell you a from a customer's eyes, during my 4 visits to DMCFL (Bonita Springs), and my many visits to DMCFL (Orlando) that Tony is a talented business man, a true DeLorean enthusiast, and a larger than life great personality. I'm sure DMCH sees at least the same thing.

The last time I checked, DMCFL is very vibrant, with hardworking talented employees that are also enthusiasts, now in a strategically convenient location in the South East. They speak DeLorean fluently, and Passion is present. It's a windfall for me as I can drop by to get my questions answered, pick up my parts, or simply experience all things DMC on my lunch.

The other details of the separation of DMCFL from GCMW are between you people and Tony. I know more of them, but they are not mine to share. Suffice it to say that I'm elated to continue supporting DMCFL in their new location.

I wish you the best selling Lambos and other hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    Dana are you suggesting they should discriminate against buyers?
    Josh, no. It's called adding conditions to the sale. Sometimes that's necessary to protect a Van Gogh from a "Black Hawk Down" fate.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Comcours cars are nice to look at and thats really about it. Almost to a point where its a waste of money because its so nice that it will never be driven because your trying to " maintain" exactly how it left the factory. I could never own a concour car. In my opinion, its simply a waste. A full car that is nothing more than a show piece. If i boughtv the car i would be scolded because i would actualy drive it because its a car and thats what cars do. You drive them. I would probably not drive THIS car as much as i do my 11035 but you can bet i would drive it. What is broken can be easily fixed. Lik e a Tucker. It is sad to see about 90% of them sitting in a museum. So sad. I would drive it. Its a gorgeous car and it deserves to be driven! Im sure eveything with 6041 will be just fine.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Only A Gibson Is Good Enough DeLorean937's Avatar

My VIN:    5712 - Ace Frehley's DMC

Come on Mike, I agree with Dana. I was not going to say anything but I feel like I have to now. This thread’s purpose only appears to be aimed at taking a shot at Tony, who is a valued member of our community. If you wanted to sell the car, it should have been placed in the for sale forum with a price, not here to simply try to elicit a response from Tony.

This is the second thread I’ve seen that you’ve started and mentioned his car, and one of several posts where it has been called out. In previous posts, you wrote that the car has been owned by Gulf Coast Motorworks for the past 5 years, versus what it actually was for those of us familiar with the situation - collateral against business debt.

There are many perfectly restored concours level cars out there. Vin 6041 is no more special than any of those, the only “notoriety” it has in our community is because it is known as Tony’s car. That doesn't make it any more valuable than any other concours car, it just makes it more valuable to him. You refer to this car as being “unique” due to the fact that it has been featured in several magazine articles. What you fail to mention or are not aware of is that those articles were written by Tony and in reference to the history of the car with his father. Sounds like a low blow to me.

And for your “DMC FL (not to be mistaken with DMC Orlando)”, to hop on Dana’s clarification of Bonita vs Orlando, I would refer to Bonita as ‘the former home of DMC FL’. DMC FL, to this community, is now located in Orlando.

Dana’s experience at GCMW does not surprise me. My trip down in December 2016 was similar, and when I was there and asked where Tony was you told me he was “out of the office today”. I was clued in after the fact that he had no longer been involved with GCMW for months.

You were OK to use his name to keep up the appearance that he was still there for the sake of continuing business back then, how about doing the right thing by him and the community now? Instead, you’ve come on here and attempted to drum up drama while wearing an “I love DeLoreans” sign around your neck. If you were a true enthusiast and wanted to be taken seriously in our community, GCMW should offer the car back to Tony for what he collateralized it for and handle this offline.

By the way, I have rebuilt 5 cars. I am an enthusiast. How many notches are in your belt?
    Last edited by DeLorean937; 06-04-2017 at 11:23 PM.

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean937 View Post
    Come on Mike, I agree with Dana. I was not going to say anything but I feel like I have to now. This thread’s purpose only appears to be aimed at taking a shot at Tony, who is a valued member of our community. If you wanted to sell the car, it should have been placed in the for sale forum with a price, not here to simply try to elicit a response from Tony.

This is the second thread I’ve seen that you’ve started and mentioned his car, and one of several posts where it has been called out. In previous posts, you wrote that the car has been owned by Gulf Coast Motorworks for the past 5 years, versus what it actually was for those of us familiar with the situation - collateral against business debt.

There are many perfectly restored concours level cars out there. Vin 6041 is no more special than any of those, the only “notoriety” it has in our community is because it is known as Tony’s car. That doesn't make it any more valuable than any other concours car, it just makes it more valuable to him. You refer to this car as being “unique” due to the fact that it has been featured in several magazine articles. What you fail to mention or are not aware of is that those articles were written by Tony and in reference to the history of the car with his father. Sounds like a low blow to me.

And for your “DMC FL (not to be mistaken with DMC Orlando)”, to hop on Dana’s clarification of Bonita vs Orlando, I would refer to Bonita as ‘the former home of DMC FL’. DMC FL, to this community, is now located in Orlando.

Dana’s experience at GCMW does not surprise me. My trip down in December 2016 was similar, and when I was there and asked where Tony was you told me he was “out of the office today”. I was clued in after the fact that he had no longer been involved with GCMW for months.

You were OK to use his hame to keep up the appearance that he was still there for the sake of continuing business back then, how about doing the right thing by him and the community now? Instead, you’ve come on here and attempted to drum up drama while wearing an “I love DeLoreans” sign around your neck. If you were a true enthusiast and wanted to be taken seriously in our community, GCMW should offer the car back to Tony for what he collateralized it for and handle this offline.

By the way, I have rebuilt 5 cars. I am an enthusiast. How many notches are in your belt?

Locking thread.

Please post a normal "For Sale" section post about selling the car. The origin of this car is well known, and how you obtained it has now been stated.

As far as clarification for all members of the forum on the Florida branch of Delorean Motor Company, since there seems to be a lot of confusion with the postings under different names while some facilities are not clarifying the businesses, Gulf Coast Motor Works is NOT the same as DMC-FL any longer.

Gulf Coast Motor Works is a separate entity (ex. John Hervey and DMC ) that is currently offering the DeLorean community repair services, but is no longer associated in any way with the DeLorean Motor Company as it was in the past.

The Florida branch of DeLorean Motor Company (the official franchise) is now located in Orlando, FL and is operating independently of Gulf Coast Motor Works.

I know there have been posts on Facebook from people not understanding or realizing what had happened, so it is only fair business that the Naples, FL site known as Gulf Coast Motorworks is not referred to being the only or official Florida DeLorean repair facility any longer.

-Mike
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3