FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Radio Antenna

Radio Antenna

Recently I noticed that the power telescoping radio antenna will not extend. Just a quick up to speed, its been working flawlessly since I got the car, not a single issue. The head unit is a Clarion CD/DVD/GPS. Not sure how it does it, but the way it works is as soon as the head unit is set to "radio" the antenna will extend. When the head unit is set to anything other than that the antenna will retract. The car just got back from the shop for door lock trouble shooting. To my knowledge the only electrical thing they messed with is the door lock circuit (red) wire. I have since disconnected it again. The radio still functions well enough. But its kinda annoying. Any one else have a similar problem?

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

Your VIN is early enough that the power antenna was likely added later.

The most common hookup (to my knowledge) for the antenna (red) power wire is to the permanently live power door lock wiring (brown, on one side of the circuit breaker). I just reconnected my power antenna, and did just that.

Are there any wires you see that just go nowhere? Can you trace any "red" wires from the left side of the car over to the right? Where do they go?

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

You may have disconnected the wrong red wire, the antenna was likely plugged into one of those PL terminals. Locks take a thick wire, the antenna wire will be a normal gauge. There is likely also a fuse in your red wire - open up the side opposite your fuse panel, behind the drivers seat. You will likely find a red wire coming over from the right side fo the car with a fuse in it. Make sure that wire has power and a fuse.

My VIN:    2964

Any other choice of not using an antenna?? I've seen some device you stick on your windshield, then plug into the radio antenna. Not sure what it is called.
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    Any other choice of not using an antenna?? I've seen some device you stick on your windshield, then plug into the radio antenna. Not sure what it is called.
    I'd bet its just a simple problem, probably easier to fix than to put in a second antenna.

still working

I haven't made the time to go in a trouble shoot just yet. Are we all talking about the Electrical area behind the passenger seat? Because if thats the case I'm sure I disconnected the red wire for the lock circuit. But I have not gone back into poke around. thanks for all the advice, I'm sure it'll be useful.

Your antenna system has basically 3 wires tied to it. A +12 that is always on (so the antenna can retract after you take the key out) a ground, and a signal from the radio that the radio is in use or powered on. Any of these could be the problem.

The +12 is likely sourced in the electrical area behind the passenger seat, and has a red wire that runs to the electrical area behind the drivers seat, probably with a fuse in this area behind the driver. Look for the round white fuse housing typical from the 80's - push it together slightly and twist it to open, see if the fuse inside is ok. Use a multimeter to see if it has power at all times.

The ground could be tied in somewhere back in the pontoon area, or running along with the red wire, getting a ground in either of these two electrical areas depending on who installed it and when. Again, use the multimeter to make sure you have a good connection to ground.

The switched power from the stereo that signals the antenna is probably a blue wire out of the back of the stereo, that may splice to white wire that runs through the center console and comes into the electrical area behind the driver. Check for +12 in this wire whenever the radio is on.

To complicate things further - there are 2 basic styles of antenna you might have installed. The original factory ones have a relay located in the electrical area behind the driver - the white wire among others will run to it. If you have this relay, see if it is clicking open and closed when the radio goes on and off. If the antenna has been replaced in the last 10 years or so, then the new antenna likely did not use this relay, as it was housed inside the newer style antenna assembly.

See which you have, and let us know the color of your antenna mast - it its silver then its more likely a newer modern antenna, if its black it could go either way.

If you did not find and fix the problem doing that, you will also remove the 4 bolts holding the charcoal canister access door in place in the rear of the drivers side pontoon. Leave the 3 hoses inside there alone, just remove the bolts and then rotate the door 90 degrees so you can then pull the charcoal canister out and into the engine compartment - now you can access the antenna itself. Check the condition of the wiring, and check for voltage on the wires, and good continuity to ground.

It will only take a couple minutes to do the troubleshooting above. If the instructions aren't clear let me know and we'll get you through it. Its a very simple system in the end.

Tom

My VIN:    4534

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    My Mustang has one, they suck for reception. I like the antenna-less look the car has now but I'd love to get more stations.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Actually, do this if your unsure, open the cover for the electrical area behind the driver and take a photo and post it...

Will do.

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    Actually, do this if your unsure, open the cover for the electrical area behind the driver and take a photo and post it...
    I've got a little fence repair to do. Then I'll get on it. I should have an post up in the next couple days or so. Thanks for the write up T, I'll be sure to read through it several times before I proceed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast