FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: So, it wasn't a wheel bearing after all...

My VIN:    05927

So, it wasn't a wheel bearing after all...

Hi All,

For a couple of years, I've had a strange click-howling coming from the right front wheel at times. It's kind of sounded like the old baseball card in the spokes trick... and would happen on turns on when stopping, but only occasionally.

The general consensus was, if there were no signs of anything else rubbing, then it had to be the wheel bearing -- even though they only have 5k miles on them and tested out fine.

I ordered wheel bearings for all four corners, and pulled the hubs today to have the bearings changed. I found the likely culprit wasn't the bearing at all, but one of the spindle plate bolts was loose. Although hard to see in this photo, there is a slight wearing on the head of the bolt, and also on the heads of the hub-to-rotor bolts. My guess is that the loose bolt would occasionally make contact inside the hub, causing the loud noise, until the rotation of the wheel tightened the bolt up slightly, ending the noise.

IMG_1516.jpg

Thought I would post this up just in case anyone else ever runs across such an issue.

-Dave

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Stuff like that is impossible to diagnose. The wheel bearing diagnosis was spot-on. It took you right to the area and you found the cause. When digging into a problem you always have to keep an open mind and a sharp eye for things which may also be the problem or were damaged by the suspected problem. My only guess is you said the bearings only have 5K miles on them. I assume you said that because they were replaced. Those bolts must have been touched at that time and not tightened up properly. This is a very unusual problem so it has to be something unique to this car, not the fleet in general.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Always a good day when you find that a problem is much simpler than expected.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

squeaky brakes

Had right front brake that would squeak like crazy. Pulled
    front wheel and found the spindle nut finger tight!

As it turns out, three of the plate's bolts were finger tight, and likely have been for 17 years. I can see what happened from http://www.projectvixen.com/week10.htm -- I spent so much time dealing with the 1 stuck bolt, that I ignored the other three on reassembly.

Still, it held on fine -- probably mostly due to the one extra-long bolt with a nut on it. I might do that on the other side 'just because'.

Hoping to get in a test drive later today.

And... the test drive was fine. No odd noises.

Vixen needs a bath big time, but then time to drive her a bit.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Great to here Dave. How are things going for you these days? Haven't heard much from you in a long while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Well, not much new. I don't get a chance to do much car stuff these days, but I still enjoy it when I can get free.