FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Converting Manual to Automatic (parts swap)

My VIN:    6313

Converting Manual to Automatic (parts swap)

I'm converting my car to electric drive (The TesLorean). Other than the steering wheel, center console arrangement, I want to have the inside looking close to stock as possible. My car was manual transmission, but for the electric I need to have a means of switching between PRND. So I'm looking for someone interested in a swap... a "manual stick, linkage and crossgate cable" for an "automatic stick, the base and mechanics than it levers on, and the PDNR fascia plates".

Linkage and Crossgate.jpgManual Stick and Linkage.jpgManual Stick.jpg

Jeff
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

We will swap you. Email us please [email protected]
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    4529

My buddy Jimmy sent you a message last night with my contact information. I have a complete, untouched, automatic car and I want nothing for the auto set up so that I can convert to manual. I am interested in everything you want to let go of and you can have anything of mine you want. Thanks. Feel free to contact me.

My VIN:    2483

The frame is different for each car.

The manual has a circle and four mountains my holes.

The auto has a long rectangular hole.

Holes are easy, the real trick is the manual plate sits approx 1.5" down.

The auto plate sits about 4" down.

So you will need to modify the frame to fit the manual stick.

Thanks for the info. I'll have some room to maneuver since I don't need the linkage. I just need enough of a mechanism to allow the stick to go through it's movements and stop at the appropriate places. I'll be rebuilding the underside to accommodate proximity switches to signal the drive mode to the computer controlling the Tesla motor.

I can see from the diagrams on the store.delorean.com that the extra depth is required for part #105427 which houses the pivot mechanism. I took a pic of the mounting location... looks like I will need to make the through hole larger and then figure out alternative mountings for the base of the selector. It would be idea if I could maintain the four current mounting points and build a dropdown box to mount the selector onto.

Manual Selector Mounting.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by delgato View Post
    The frame is different for each car.

The manual has a circle and four mountains my holes.

The auto has a long rectangular hole.

Holes are easy, the real trick is the manual plate sits approx 1.5" down.

The auto plate sits about 4" down.

So you will need to modify the frame to fit the manual stick.
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Quote Originally Posted by HaleyJoe36 View Post
    My buddy Jimmy sent you a message last night with my contact information. I have a complete, untouched, automatic car and I want nothing for the auto set up so that I can convert to manual. I am interested in everything you want to let go of and you can have anything of mine you want. Thanks. Feel free to contact me.
    Thanks, In progress...
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by HaleyJoe36 View Post
    Assembled parts for manual conversion...

- gear shift, linkage, cross gate cable
    - manual transmission mounts
    - manual pedal box

Transmission Mounts.jpgManual Bits and Bobs.jpgPedal Box.jpg

Apart from the bolts holding the brake booster standoff in place (through the firewall and through the pedal box, 4 of), and the bolts holding the clutch master in place (2 of), I found 1 other 13mm bolt through the firewall and through the pedal box. At the top of the box (under the dash) I found two (8mm) nuts which required removing the binnacle (to get to the bolt tops - also holds on a bracket that reaches down to the left/right kneepads). There were another two (8mm) nuts just further forward - the bolts were 'captured' so I didn't need to lift the dash. In the process overall I removed the steering column, the left and right driver's knee pads, and the binnacle.

Jeff
    Jeff

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Asking price? Auto parts plus cash?
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    Asking price? Auto parts plus cash?
    I was just updating on the process for removal (I didn't find a lot on getting a pedal box out so I thought it might be useful).

Swap already underway with Jimmy (via HaleyJoe36).

Jeff
    Jeff