FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Overheating

My VIN:    4494

Club(s):  

Overheating

About a year ago to the day my water pump started to fail. Over winter I went into the VoD and replaced it along with some smaller jobs. Since March I've been struggling to get the cooling system to operate correctly when previously it was solid other than a slight leak at the radiator. I'm just about at the end of my tether with it, so thought I'd check in for some collective wisdom on what to do next.

Things changed;
    1. New Water Pump
    2. New Thermostat (tested before fitting)
    3. New Otterstat (tested before fitting)
    4. New Temperature Gauge sender
    5. New Radiator
    6. New Fans
    7. New coolant tank pressure cap
    8. New silicone hoses for VoD and Waterpump
    9. New heater valve and silicone hoses
    10. New belts for A/C, and Alternator
    11. Bled at radiator until no air seen
    12. Bled at thermostat with rear end raised until no air seen
    13. System holds 15 psi for 30 minutes using a coolant pressure tester
    14. No leaks observed from the system, including using an inspection camera into the VoD

When testing the vehicle;
    1. Start engine with heater on and cabin fans running
    2. Remove coolant cap to observe good coolant flow that varies appropriately with revving the engine
    3. As engine warms up, tested vents in cabin to confirm good heat coming from heater core
    4. As engine warms up, observe drivers side of radiator warms up, with passenger side following over time
    5. As temperature gauge creeps upwards, fans to not engage at any point
    6. Jumping the fans at the otterstat engages the fans as expected
    7. Gauge reaches just below 220 mark. Stop engine and leave to cool completely
    8. Laser thermometer reading shows 118f temperature at thermostat housing exterior
    9. No evidence of head gasket issues present (oil looks good, coolant looks good. No signs of exhaust fumes in coolant during testing)

So with all that in mind, I'm stuck with where to go next. I've bled the system 3 times, and on the third attempt saw no air bubbles during the bleeding process. New gauge sender could be bad, but that seems very unlikely.

== EDIT ==
    Sorry for generic topic title. Clicked submit too early and can't change it...

DeLorean Club UK DeLoreanGo Arran's Avatar

My VIN:    1764

Club(s):   (DCH)

What is the actual problem though? Are you saying the only issue is that the engine is "probably hot" but that the only data that indicates this is the gauge? Was the old temp sender definitely bad? Your laser thermometer isn't reading a particularly hot value I'd say.
    Also how is the otterstat attached? Cable ties or a single clip?

My VIN:    SCEDT26T1BD001651

I have a similar story, I am pretty sure it is the new temperature sender. If you still got your old one you could try it again. Unfortunately I threw mine away after replacing it. The symptoms on my DeLorean are the same as with yours. 220 mark and even above, but the cooling systems temperature is in it's normal range. I've been driving around like this for a couple of months now and got used to ignoring the temperature gauge. I am not sure if putting a new sender in will change this symptoms (except maybe from a different vendor, I bought mine through Delorean.eu.).

good luck............Eugen
    '81 DeLorean, 20.000 mls, second owner, automatic gearbox

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by arranj View Post
    What is the actual problem though? Are you saying the only issue is that the engine is "probably hot" but that the only data that indicates this is the gauge? Was the old temp sender definitely bad? Your laser thermometer isn't reading a particularly hot value I'd say.
    Also how is the otterstat attached? Cable ties or a single clip?
    Otterstat is currently the new UK screw-in type and new coolant pipe, but same results with my OEM version that was working before (and was attached with a clip and cable-tie). But since you sell the UK ones you know they are good

Old sender seemed to work fine. When I was in the VOD I had to replace it as the old ring terminal was corroded and separating from the wiring, and when I tried to back-off the nut on the sender the entire threaded portion from the sender started to spin and come apart. So I had to replace my old sender since it was now no longer usable.

So the engine seems "probably hot" as you say but I've not run past the 220 mark for fear of causing undue damage/stress to the engine. I do have a replacement sender with the spade fitting (yet again from yourself, so thanks!), but was hoping for some wisdom on diagnosing a bad sender so I can test the newer one before going to the effort of draining and replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by eseethal
    I have a similar story, I am pretty sure it is the new temperature sender. If you still got your old one you could try it again. Unfortunately I threw mine away after replacing it. The symptoms on my DeLorean are the same as with yours. 220 mark and even above, but the cooling systems temperature is in it's normal range. I've been driving around like this for a couple of months now and got used to ignoring the temperature gauge. I am not sure if putting a new sender in will change this symptoms (except maybe from a different vendor, I bought mine through Delorean.eu.).

good luck............Eugen
    That's curious as my sender is from delorean.eu as well. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. Anyone have multi-meter readings for what the sensor should be putting out at the 220 mark?

My VIN:    SCEDT26T1BD001651

Wow, that definitely is no coincidence! Could you try your replacement sender?

Eugen

Quote Originally Posted by jwrayth View Post
    That's curious as my sender is from delorean.eu as well. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. Anyone have multi-meter readings for what the sensor should be putting out at the 220 mark?
    '81 DeLorean, 20.000 mls, second owner, automatic gearbox

One thought might be to electrically connect up your spare new sensor and place it in a thermos of nearly boiling water, turn on the key, and see what reading you get. Or, if you have a portable hot plate, bring it to a boil and verify the 212 degree reading.

Ron

My VIN:    4087

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

What orientation do you have the new otterstat/pipe fitted? I had cooling issues a few years ago because I fitted the pipe with the otterstat to the top - air bubbles were then being trapped (I presume) and it wasn't activating the fans.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I would suspect the temperature gauge is not accurate. After about 20 minutes of idling the fans should start up at about 200 degrees.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by dmc4087
    What orientation do you have the new otterstat/pipe fitted? I had cooling issues a few years ago because I fitted the pipe with the otterstat to the top - air bubbles were then being trapped (I presume) and it wasn't activating the fans.
    Facing upwards, as the OEM one was also. Though as I say, even if I manually jump the fans the temperature continues to rise.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron
    I'm going to spend some time Saturday doing a very similar test! Drain the block, pull the old sender and test side-by-side.

Consensus being the sender/gauge is reporting incorrectly is reassuring to hear though, as I've had nothing but trouble in my cooling system as part of my VoD journey so it'd be nice if this last problem is an "easy" fix!

Club(s):  

Did some searching over my lunch break and found a site with some useful details.

The stock temperature sensor is a resistor that starts at several thousand Ohms and drops logatirhmicly as it heats up. Using the stock gauge as a reference, 100 °F is 1000Ω, 220 °F is 100Ω, and 260 °F is 50Ω.
    Going to try and make some readings using that as a starting point tonight

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast