FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Automatic transmission Question

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Automatic transmission Question

Im gonna be draining the transmission and pulling the pan to change the filter and make sure its decent inside.

Wondering if there's anything I need to watch out for when pulling the pan?
    How much fluid should I put back in before starting the engine to fill it further?

You pour the fluid down the (oh so easy to reach) pipe the dipstick goes in, right?

Whats the best to use to clean off the transmission and transaxle? Im going to be tracking down my leak at the same time and want to clean them off so I can be sure to see any areas the fluid may be leaking.

How do I tell when the bolts are properly tight without using a torque wrench (which I dont have)?
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Check how much debris is on the magnet and how much is in the pan. Does the oil smell burnt and is it dark and thick?

Estimate how much comes out when you drain the pan, that's approximately how much to initially put back (assuming the level was good BEFORE you dumped the oil).

Yes, you refill the transmission from the dipstick tube. To check the final drive you must remove the level plug on the side of the transmission.

Oven cleaner or Gunk.

Unless you are experienced you really should use a torque wrench so you don't over-tighten the bolts and warp the pan.

Follow the procedures in the Workshop Manual. While you are working on the transmission you should do all of the external On-Car checks and make sure the wiring to the shift computer is securely attached and away from the exhaust pipes.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    How do I tell when the bolts are properly tight without using a torque wrench (which I dont have)?
    Buy a torque wrench. You should have one anyway if you want to do your own automotive maintenance.

My VIN:    6313

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Buy a torque wrench. You should have one anyway if you want to do your own automotive maintenance.
    You can also get a loan of a torque wrench from the mainline auto parts stores - just remember to leave it back, otherwise you've bought it.

*Especially good idea if you need to get a 250lbft capable wrench...

Jeff
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Check how much debris is on the magnet and how much is in the pan. Does the oil smell burnt and is it dark and thick?

Estimate how much comes out when you drain the pan, that's approximately how much to initially put back (assuming the level was good BEFORE you dumped the oil).

Yes, you refill the transmission from the dipstick tube. To check the final drive you must remove the level plug on the side of the transmission.

Oven cleaner or Gunk.

Unless you are experienced you really should use a torque wrench so you don't over-tighten the bolts and warp the pan.

Follow the procedures in the Workshop Manual. While you are working on the transmission you should do all of the external On-Car checks and make sure the wiring to the shift computer is securely attached and away from the exhaust pipes.

Wont be much that comes out, cause its been leaking. The stuff leaking was in excellent condition, cause it was new and the car hadnt driven more than 4 miles (see my resto thread..hehe).

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting about gunk.

I'll prolly get a torque wrench.

Final drive?
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Final drive?
    The differential. It's separate and doesn't use automatic transmission fluid. It uses 80w-90 gearbox oil.

Ahh ok. Learnin more. Thanks.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    3294

I'd highly recommend getting a new silicone gasket for the transmission pan. I got mine from DPI, and it's never leaked a drop.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

Toby says the ones he has are combination of rubber and cork and they work pretty good.

Any suggestions on a torque wrench? I looked at autozone and they have one for like $12 that will go from 0 -100 and others for $30 that go higher.

Also, I have a ryobi impact driver and the manual mentions a torque limiter...anyone know about those? I didnt see any such thing at home depot, where I got the driver from.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon