FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: AVO shocks too long?

My VIN:    1561

AVO shocks too long?

I'm installing some AVO shocks and I've got the fronts in. This is part of a larger suspension overhaul so I've got the knuckle removed from the upper and lower ball joints. I'm noticing that with the LCA hanging at it's lowest point of travel with the springs in (Eibach I've had for years) the upper control arm can't be attached to the knuckle because it binds on the spring. If I jack up the LCA a bit there's then room but whenever the car is up off the wheels the upper control arm is going to bind on the spring. It's almost like the AVO shocks have a longer shaft and allow the LCA to hang lower than normal. Has anyone else noticed this? A lot of people run AVOs and I don't remember this ever coming up. This wasn't an issue with the stock shocks that I can recall and wasn't with the KYBs I've had on the last 10 years. I can add a pic if it would be helpful.
    Last edited by todd1561; 09-26-2022 at 11:55 AM.
    Todd, VIN 1561

http://1561project.com

My VIN:    1561

I did confirm that the AVOs are about 1.5" longer than the KYB shocks I had been running (and I assume the Girlings but I tossed those ages ago). I happened to be speaking with Mike @ DMC-MW about something else and he confirmed the issue. Under normal driving conditions this should be a non-issue. I think I'll keep some blocks around to put under the LCAs when lifting the car to keep them from dropping so low and scraping up my new powdercoat job!

But this does strike me as odd as apparently the AVOs were "designed for the DeLorean" rather than some off the shelf x-ref part. Seems like a pretty big oversight, but what do I know.
    Todd, VIN 1561

http://1561project.com