FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Filled gas to the top. One hour later gas smell under car

Filled gas to the top. One hour later gas smell under car

Hey
    Today I manually fill the gas tank from a giant gas container and got it not all the way to the brim but a few inches down in the neck that goes into the tank. I did not leak anything around the top. An hour later I smelled gas in the garage and looked under the car and do not see any puddles but I do seem to be a couple drips hanging on the bolts underneath the front of the car. What is this a symptom of? I guess I will put a fan on to the car to dry up whatever is down there
    thanks
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

Picture. Somewhere the gas is leaking out if the gas is higher than the top of the tank. IMG_9097.jpg

If I dry up the top of the lid with the wires going into it the gas slowly looks like it's seeping out of the top of the lid to fill it back up.

My VIN:    1058

Oh yeah..i am very familiar with that issue. I changed all the rubber pieces around the fuel pump on my car and I still couldn't fill the tank up. Pull that top rubber piece off by removing the big clamp. You will see the problem. It's hard to describe but the return line goes through the side and fuel comes into the boot around that line. You can try putting a house clamp on it but the rubber gets soft from the fuel.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Well if you were talking about the large rubber boot – that is brand-new and put on by DMC a couple weeks ago. When I take a towel and dab the top of the smaller cap with the tan colored top and then watch it I can see the gas start to seep through the To fill out the top of that smaller cap Be at seeping through the holes that the wires are screwed into?

My VIN:    3937

Your fuel sender seal isn't sealing. Unthread the collar, lift it up, inspect the gasket, figure out where/why it isn't lying flat, reinstall. Rethread on the collar slowly and carefully watching that your gasket underneath doesn't move around.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    6585

The stock fuel pump boot is a pain in the ass to deal with. Once you get the pump secured with the bottom clamp & installed, and the wires routed through the niches, and you put the top cap on, you have to be VERY careful with the large top clamp. It should be nice and snug. But once you start to over-tighten it, it will begin to slide up and bends the boot away from the lip of the fuel tank to allow everything to leak out.

As instructed, verify the Sending Unit is properly sealed.

Also, check the top of your fuel sending unit. I had a Tankzilla unit installed, and it busted it's seams on top and would bubble fuel out. It wasn't the sending unit's fault, it was a bad Carbon Canister that could't purge all of the fuel vapors. So the tank would swell under the extreme pressure of the vapors, and would bubble out of the electrical connection on the sending unit. Probably unlikely in your case, but it never hurts to look once you verify the gasket is properly installed.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...