FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: A/C blues

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post

In any major service of the A/C system on an old Delorean you typically replace all 3 hoses, the accumulator/dryer, the oil, all of the "O" ring seals, and the 2 service valve cores. Do a leak-test, evacuate, refill with refrigerant and do a performance test. You will also probably have to clean the condensate drain, replace the cabin fan motor, replace the belt and 2 idler pulleys, and rebuild the mode switch. The engine cooling system must also be in good working order to have good A/C.
    Sounds like overkill to me. Are these cars really that delicate that one should replace half the ac system for a service? Maybe make it simple in the future...
    Every 30k miles: Inspect and replace DeLorean sports car

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The hoses were never intended to last 30 + years. Nor the oil, the belt, or the idler pulleys. In fact, nothing on the car was meant to last that long except maybe the S/S panels! A lot does depend on how the car was cared for and how much it was used but after 30 years (assuming none of this was ever replaced) it is time. If the system is flat (all of the gas leaked out) you definitely should do all of this. One big reason, as the Freon (refrigerant) leaks out it takes some of the oil with it. Once it is all gone (the refrigerant) air can get in and with it moisture. That turns what remains of the oil acidic and overloads the desiccant. Now you should replace the dryer (accumulator) and all of the oil (of which you don't have enough anyway). Cheaping out is bad economy when you are doing this kind of work, the parts (excepting the hoses, coils, and compressor) are not all that expensive.
    David Teitelbaum

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I'm with Michael; Mustache is basically saying to replace the entire A/C system for a service, which is preposterous overkill.

On my car, I had an A/C leak for a few years, which I finally fixed. I simply put new gaskets in the compressor (a bit laborious, but cheap), and replaced a few o-rings. Extensive leak testing later and no more leaks. I would have wasted hundreds of dollars and many hours if I replaced everything. Waste of time, money, and parts.

Yes, these cars and parts are old, but that's no reason to go over the top with paranoia and replace everything.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I am not saying to automatically replace everything. What I am saying is if the hoses are original they should be replaced, if the dryer/accumulator is original it should be replaced, the oil should be changed and the valve cores should be replaced. If the belt and idler pulleys are old they should be replaced. If the mode switch hisses it should be rebuilt. Typically the compressor and the coils just have to be flushed. A lot depends on if the system is flat and has been for a long time, if the car was sitting, if anything has been serviced recently, etc. If the system was working recently all it may need is to fix a leak and recharge it. Often when I see a car it has been recently purchased and the new owner wants to make everything work. More often than not the A/C is flat and has been for a LONG time. That is when you can expect to do everything.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    SCEDT26T5BD001815

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Several of the Delorean vendors have a hose option that does not require lifting the body. If you still have the original hoses you should replace all 3 at the same time. If the dryer/accumulator hasn't been replaced in a long time it should be replaced as well along with the belt for the compressor, the 2 idler bearings, the oil, and the cores for the service valves. While some have converted to -134 IMHO you are best served by staying with R-12. That is what the system was deigned for and R-12 is still obtainable albeit a bit more expensive than -134.
    Red Tek from Amazon is readily available....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4