FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: A/C blues

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    You got lucky. The Short hose is also the easiest one to replace. Is you your old hose the one with the Hub inline near the accumulator or the later version with the HP cutout switch at the condenser outlet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I never looked close enough.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

A/C blues

I misread your original post. Which hose are you replacing? I thought you said, condenser to accumulator. Accumulator to compressor (low side hose) is bit more challenging if it's the OEM type hose size. The DPI hoses would be very easy to fish through the frame space.

Last edited by DMC5180; 06-05-2017 at 12:07 AM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    4665

Adding onto a recent and relevant thread...for those who have done so, what should be my time expectation for me to replace the AC compressor, the lines, & accumulator? Evap and condenser will be cleaned out, but will remain in place.

I want to have it ready for the the Woodward Dream Cruise and that's only a month away.

Thank you in advance.

My VIN:    10353

None of it is very hard. If you have a lift you could knock it out in a weekend easy. I'm using car jacks and am stuck with the last connection from the accumulator to the evaporator. Now having to resort to using a dremel to try and cut the accumulator off. If it wasn't for that one connection causing so much frustration I would have been done a month ago! Hopefully you don't run into anything like that!

If you are replacing all the lines I found it was easier to use a handsaw and cut the old lines into smaller pieces to get them removed off the car.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

If you break the line going to the evaporator, add much more frustration and at the very least another full day to fix your AC.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You should not have to replace the compressor unless it is making bad noises. If you are familiar with the job and things go well (everything comes apart easily, no contamination) it's about a 4 hour job figuring an hour for evacuation.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You should not have to replace the compressor unless it is making bad noises.
    OR of it's not working. I've seen plenty of bad compressors that are not noisy but need replacement. You gotta have gauges to make the determination.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    None of it is very hard. If you have a lift you could knock it out in a weekend easy. I'm using car jacks and am stuck with the last connection from the accumulator to the evaporator. Now having to resort to using a dremel to try and cut the accumulator off. If it wasn't for that one connection causing so much frustration I would have been done a month ago! Hopefully you don't run into anything like that!

If you are replacing all the lines I found it was easier to use a handsaw and cut the old lines into smaller pieces to get them removed off the car.
    That is a bugger of connection to get wrenches on. The Evaporator nut is steel Female thread. I don't no how you are cutting the Accumulator Nut, but you must not damage the Evaporator Nut or tube. Replacing the Evaporator is big job. I've done it, and hope I never have to do it ever again.

Before you resort to cutting, Try penetrating oil. You could Also Carefully try heating the large Hex on the Accumulator. Aluminum will expand easily.

DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    I misread your original post. Which hose are you replacing? I thought you said, condenser to accumulator. Accumulator to compressor (low side hose) is bit more challenging if it's the OEM type hose size. The DPI hoses would be very easy to fish through the frame space.

Mist have not been too bad. Total bill was 300 and that was replacing the accumulator as well as convert and charge it. That was several weeks ago and the AC has been doing fine ever since. I have always refrained from 134 but really I can't tell a difference in vent temps.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Or if the compressor is leaking (not exactly rare), and you don't want to go through the chore of re-gasketing it.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast