FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Time for a clutch replacement?

My VIN:    6472

Time for a clutch replacement?

Recently my car seems to be exhibiting symptoms of a clutch disc that may be on its way out. When in gear and pressing the gas, the RPMs are climbing higher, but the car's speed is increasing at a much slower pace. It's very noticeable that acceleration is weaker, especially when going up an incline. As a test I pulled the handbrake and put the car in 3rd gear, when I let up on the clutch pedal, the car did not stall. I've also noticed the clutch is now engaging at the very top of the pedal travel. In other words, I have to let off the clutch pedal almost all the way before it finally connects.

I checked my reservoir and it is full, zero leaks under the car, and in the driver's footwell where the master cylinder goes through the firewall is bone dry. The master and slave cylinders and the stainless steel line were installed by DMC-CA a couple years ago. As far as I know the clutch is original. Since I've owned the car, I've always taken it easy with the clutch and the car isn't high mileage by any means, so failure seems premature, but again there's no way of really knowing how much abuse it's seen in its lifetime, from previous owners before I acquired it.

I'm almost certain this is a clutch issue and not hydraulics. But this is a huge job, so before I call it, is there anything else I can check?
    Has anyone else experienced these symptoms before and found it was something other than the clutch?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Gregadeth; 06-05-2017 at 05:54 AM.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

I would say that you are correct on the clutch being the issue. Most clutches in our experience are good for about 30k depending on driving habits etc. Are you planning on replacing this yourself or outsourcing the job?
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    Recently my car seems to be exhibiting symptoms of a clutch disc that may be on its way out. When in gear and pressing the gas, the RPMs are climbing higher, but the car's speed is increasing at a much slower pace. It's very noticeable that acceleration is weaker, especially when going up an incline. As a test I pulled the handbrake and put the car in 3rd gear, when I let up on the clutch pedal, the car did not stall. I've also noticed the clutch is now engaging at the very top of the pedal travel. In other words, I have to let off the clutch pedal almost all the way before it finally connects.

I checked my reservoir and it is full, zero leaks under the car, and in the driver's footwell where the master cylinder goes through the firewall is bone dry. The master and slave cylinders and the stainless steel line were installed by DMC-CA a couple years ago. As far as I know the clutch is original. Since I've owned the car, I've always taken it easy with the clutch and the car isn't high mileage by any means, so failure seems premature, but again there's no way of really knowing how much abuse it's seen in its lifetime, from previous owners before I acquired it.

I'm almost certain this is a clutch issue and not hydraulics. But this is a huge job, so before I call it, is there anything else I can check?
    Has anyone else experienced these symptoms before and found it was something other than the clutch?
    Thanks
    When you're traveling up a hill, put the car in a higher gear than you would normally use and floor the accelerator. You should see the RPMs rev up with little or no change in acceleration. If so, the clutch is slipping and on its way out.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

The only other thing besides a worn out clutch I've seen cause slippage is an adjustable link set up too tight which will preload and partially disengage the clutch. Check for that first before replacing the clutch.
    Rob

My VIN:    6472

Thanks for the feedback...

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    I would say that you are correct on the clutch being the issue. Most clutches in our experience are good for about 30k depending on driving habits etc. Are you planning on replacing this yourself or outsourcing the job?
    My mileage is pretty much in that range so I guess it is time after all. I don't really have the resources to do it myself and trans work is a bit out of my league, so I will probably outsource. I have a couple acquaintances that say they can do it, so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    When you're traveling up a hill, put the car in a higher gear than you would normally use and floor the accelerator. You should see the RPMs rev up with little or no change in acceleration. If so, the clutch is slipping and on its way out.
    It seems to be doing that no matter what gear it's in. When going uphill, revving high in 1st gear does nothing to speed, I imagine it would be the same with higher gears or worse. I'll give this a shot though.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    The only other thing besides a worn out clutch I've seen cause slippage is an adjustable link set up too tight which will preload and partially disengage the clutch. Check for that first before replacing the clutch.
    Rob
    That's a good point. That's the link that goes on the clutch pedal linkage, right? From what I've seen down there it's all looked stock to me, but I'll double check to make sure.