FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: How to tighten the Alternator belt?

My VIN:    6683

Club(s):   (TXDMC) (DOI)

Cool How to tighten the Alternator belt?

Hello,
    I am trying to tighten my Alt belt but not having a lot of luck. Does anyone know the size of the Alt Belt? Can someone descript the procedure. Not sure if maybe I am missing a step.

Thank you

Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
    Hello,
    I am trying to tighten my Alt belt but not having a lot of luck. Does anyone know the size of the Alt Belt? Can someone descript the procedure. Not sure if maybe I am missing a step.

Thank you

Gavin
    [shamelessplug]

This makes it easier:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeLorean-Sta...BXS6C0&vxp=mtr

[/shamelessplug]

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

The way I've tightened the belt is by using wedging a pry bar under the alternator. I've found that ones that look like this seem to work best:

4c0661b5-27a8-448f-a213-d87a3a698874_1000.jpg

I hook the "U" end under the alternator and against the engine (there's a ledge there, I think near the lower crankcase or pan or something), then lift up the other end to raise the alternator and pull the belt tight. I'm probably putting a few scratches on the side of the engine, but you could probably put a piece of wood on it, or Plastidip the end of the pry bar or something if you're worried about it. I'm sure others have their own ways to tighten the belt.

I'm afraid I don't know the belt length. I'm (very slowly) doing a 3.0L engine swap, and used a tailors tape measure to figure out the length of the belt I needed, then bought 3 belts around that size and kept the one the fit.

-- Joe

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    [shamelessplug]

This makes it easier:

[/shamelessplug]
    This. Whole bunch of this. I'll be buying one of these soon.

My VIN:    3937

Hello,

Thank you

Gavin
    If your alternator and belt set-up is pretty much the way it came from the factory, then follow these guidelines (i.e. the pry bar /get a helper method):

http://support.delorean.com/kb/a39/belts.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    [shamelessplug]

This makes it easier:

[/shamelessplug]
    If at some point you're looking for alternatives, then yea, get this one Matt sells. I have it and can also vouch for it being a good and helpful improvement to the car.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    3294

I can vouch for the "Drive Stainless" belt tensioner. I have it on my car. Works perfectly.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    10309

I just put on a new belt after burning through several others. After half a dozen fits I successfully used a Napa xl 25 7485. The problem is that
    the lips on the alternator and the water pump are quite tall so you have to use two flat bladed screw drivers to wedge it on and then there is a
    nice adjustment available.

My VIN:    6683

Club(s):   (TXDMC) (DOI)

Thank you everyone for the info. Has anyone had issues with the alternator belt hitting the muffler/engine mount?

Gavin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gavin
    Vin 6683
    02 RSX
    12 Ram 1500

My VIN:    6585

Thank you everyone for the info. Has anyone had issues with the alternator belt hitting the muffler/engine mount?

Gavin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Boy, let me tell you about alternators hitting that belt.

Yes, it can happen. As the alternator spins, the fan blades will flex and bend out. On a proper stock alternator using a stock belt, there is no problem. My car OTO had a problem with some idiot mechanic in the past who bent the blades on my alternator. Whenever the engine went about 4,600 RPMs, the blades would flex enough to chew the belt. Even lower RPMs if I used a wider Vee belt that didn't properly fit in the pulley groves.

When the belt goes, the water pump stops and the engine heats up pretty quickly. As a bonus, it'll also cut the hose above it. Sure, it might not cut it all the way open, but it can weaken it enough that later on it'll pop and overheat the engine again.

Now I was able to fix the blades with a piece of rebar and a 2lb. sledge hammer to stop the problem, but still replaced the alternator. Luckily, this kind of failure is rare. But still, make sure you use stock parts on your engine to avoid such problems.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by burch View Post
    This. Whole bunch of this. I'll be buying one of these soon.
    I have already tried it and seemed good.