FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: turning the rotors?

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Thanks. I was wondering. I could not find the tolerances in the workshop manual.

And what about the 270 ft lbs for the rear hub nut. That seems like a lot? My torque wrench only goes to 150 (maybe it's just wimpy).

Ron
    Buy a new torque wrench... It is worth it. Also as Dave said use a new nut and make sure the cone insert is in good shape. I also now apply red loctite to the threads... up to you.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Thanks. I was wondering. I could not find the tolerances in the workshop manual.

And what about the 270 ft lbs for the rear hub nut. That seems like a lot? My torque wrench only goes to 150 (maybe it's just wimpy).

Ron
    You don't need to remove the hub nut to remove the rear rotors as they are a floating design (with a retaining screw). All you need to remove is the caliper and the retaining screw to remove the rotor. The rotor may be rusted to the hub; thus, it may require a little persuasion to remove.

With the exception of the time I replaced the right rear hub assembly on 4194 back in 2001, I have never removed a rear hub nut on either of my DeLoreans.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    You don't need to remove the hub nut to remove the rear rotors as they are a floating design (with a retaining screw). All you need to remove is the caliper and the retaining screw to remove the rotor. The rotor may be rusted to the hub; thus, it may require a little persuasion to remove.

With the exception of the time I replaced the right rear hub assembly on 4194 back in 2001, I have never removed a rear hub nut on either of my DeLoreans.
    That's a good clarification. Also, the retaining screw may be behind a spacer. On my car, the spacer was glued on a bit so it needed some persuasion as well. Here are a couple more pics of the bare rotor and the hub with the retaining screw.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wow! Nice work!
    Thanks!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

Well that's a relief. I should have looked at the parts breakout more closely. Thanks for jumping in with the clarification.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi there,

Yes, I had my rear rotors done. I found an independent shop to do it for around the same price ($15). Just make sure they are not down to minimum thickness or warped. I also had them bead blasted so I could paint the hubs. Here's a couple pics:

Before:
    Attachment 51966

After:
    Attachment 51967
    I also notice that you changed the spring. Were you lowering the rear suspension?
    Ron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2