FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wheel refinishing: Paint or powdercoat

Wheel refinishing: Paint or powdercoat

I just bought a Delorean with dark grey wheels. Not the light grey from early cars but a dark grey.Even though the wheels are in great shape I would like to go back to the original silver. Are most restored wheels powder coated or painted? Does anyone have a paint code for the original silver?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by 747DRVR View Post
    I just bought a Delorean with dark grey wheels. Not the light grey from early cars but a dark grey.Even though the wheels are in great shape I would like to go back to the original silver. Are most restored wheels powder coated or painted? Does anyone have a paint code for the original silver?
    Painted does not last long but will get you by for a while. Powder coated is expensive but the route you'll want to take if you want it to last for years and years without touching up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----Dan B.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Check out post 18 in this thread:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?66...t-clear-finish

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Painted does not last long but will get you by for a while. Powder coated is expensive but the route you'll want to take if you want it to last for years and years without touching up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A proper paint job should last just as long as powder coat, how ever I'm a painter and I'd still recommend powered coat as here atleast it's cheaper and easier to get down in the tight spots

When I say painted, I don't mean take a rattle can and spray it down. The tire needs to come off of course and it does need a proper paint job but I don't agree that it would last as long as powder coating. I wouldn't call myself a painter, but I've painted dozens of cars so experience plays a little roll. I painted my wheels for now until I can get them powder coated. My problems with this are - they scratch easily, my son was rolling an engine stand into the garage and accidentally nicked the rim, the paint scratched off to the powder coating under it. Cleaning the wheels with a brush makes the paint dull. Wheel weights take the paint off when installing/removing. You have to be careful not to scratch the paint when using a socket for the lug nuts. My original rims powder coating lasted 30+ years without any of these issues.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    05457

I would start by creating a thread asking if someone wants to trade. Dark grey wheels are highly desirable to some owners since they are easier to keep looking clean. You may be able to find someone with wheels of the same quality, but are already silver, who is willing to trade.
    David Proehl

Thanks for the quick reply. I will find a local powder coating shop. It would be great to find someone locally who would be willing to trade but I don't want to have to ship them off

My VIN:    4665

Where are you located? I know a fantastic place for wheels in Chamblee, GA.

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    When I say painted, I don't mean take a rattle can and spray it down. The tire needs to come off of course and it does need a proper paint job but I don't agree that it would last as long as powder coating. I wouldn't call myself a painter, but I've painted dozens of cars so experience plays a little roll. I painted my wheels for now until I can get them powder coated. My problems with this are - they scratch easily, my son was rolling an engine stand into the garage and accidentally nicked the rim, the paint scratched off to the powder coating under it. Cleaning the wheels with a brush makes the paint dull. Wheel weights take the paint off when installing/removing. You have to be careful not to scratch the paint when using a socket for the lug nuts. My original rims powder coating lasted 30+ years without any of these issues.
    I didn't expect you meant rattle can, but sounds to me like you have poor clear and adhesion problems. I've been in a body shop from about the age of 12

Quote Originally Posted by Gfrank View Post
    I didn't expect you meant rattle can, but sounds to me like you have poor clear and adhesion problems. I've been in a body shop from about the age of 12
    I wrote the rattle can comment to clarify to OP. Whatever the problem is, it's only temporary until I find time to get them powder coated and figured I'd share my experience.
    Last edited by dn010; 06-08-2017 at 02:54 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast