FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: More Popular, Manual or Auto?

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Except mine.....the only dpi efi twin turbo auto tranny to ever be produced, now and forever.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

This is correct. There will never be another.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    16563

Personally I looked for an auto. Figured more universally desirable and user friendly. These are around 160 hp? I'm not sure I'm interested in squeezing the little bit more power out of a manual.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
    1983 Delorean-auto, black/gray int. 38k miles

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Base is 130hp.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Corrected lol. Thank you

hehe..yeah we dont have alot, specially by modern standards...but thing like perfomance air filter and exhaust can help...even for us auto owners...hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

I firmly am an avid lover of certain cars being manual. But Mr auto D had plenty of power, very zippy and a no brainer to drive. Good times

I did my time with manual..nothing wrong with them...but I like the laziness an auto offers...hehe. And nope, I dont want self driving cars..lol
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10907

I've heard that the autos shift more efficiently to get the optimum torque on uphill climbs, can anyone confirm or deny?

If I had it to do over again I might have been more open to getting an automatic. I never bought another auto again after the problems I had with my Mazda 323 in high school but shifting this one is a lot more effort than my Honda.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    I've heard that the autos shift more efficiently to get the optimum torque on uphill climbs, can anyone confirm or deny?

If I had it to do over again I might have been more open to getting an automatic. I never bought another auto again after the problems I had with my Mazda 323 in high school but shifting this one is a lot more effort than my Honda.
    That's a tricky question: Depends on the transmission. In the past automatics were less powerful because of the limited number of gears available. 3 auto vs. 4-5 on a manual. Not to mention that humans could more quickly calculate shift points. But as time went on, automatic transmissions caught up in terms of available gears and better computers integrated into the engine that could shift more efficiently than most humans because they were able to react quicker. But then you have problems with power loss via the torque convertor until it fully locks up.

But that's strictly speaking about your traditional hydraulic automatics. Many manufacturers have toyed with CVTs, but the future standard will be the DCT. Which is literally a manual transmission with the shifter removed, and a computer that controls two rotating cams that move the internal forks that select gears, and the clutches to shift a 6-speed manual automatically. Because even then, the design of the manual transmission was more efficient than the automatic, so they just found a way to automate stickshifts.

Also, don't let the one experience with a car decide your opinion on others. Hell, I have a '14 Focus with DCT. Two years before, they were a nightmare. But the manufacturer stepped up and improved things. '14 is when they got the transmission right, and '16 is when they really got the computers finally sorted out. I had a warranty claim and got a new '17 TCM installed. The thing is better than new, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. But had I have had the earlier model without the problems sorted out, it would probably have been a different result.

Personally, I'm not a fan of automatic DeLoreans. I drove one once, and while it was a nice car, it just didn't seem to have the same power as my manual for climbs. I feel your pain with the cutch though, that thing is heavy as hell in traffic. But for hill climbs, I've always love mine for the mountains with the PRV. It's not a drag racer, but the torque always let my car keep pulling up steep grades like it was still on flat land.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast