FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: More Popular, Manual or Auto?

More Popular, Manual or Auto?

What do you feel is more desirable to the DMC-12 crowd, a Manual or Auto? Why?

Josh

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

From a macro perspective, manual DeLoreans tend to be more desirable for a number of reasons including:

More responsive performance;
    More of a sports car feel;
    A more interactive driving experience between the car and the driver.

I know of a few owners who have sold their automatics to purchase a 5 speed. In contrast, I've seen very few examples of the opposite.

The automatics also had a troublesome computer control system; however, I hear far less complaints about those in more recent years.

Obviously automatics do have some advantages. If you do a lot of stop-and-go driving in heavy traffic, an automatic can be nice. Also for those who don't know how to drive a stick shift car and have no desire to learn, an automatic is the obvious choice.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

My VIN:    10353

^ Agreed. Inevitably every time I'm accelerating hard to merge on the freeway and I throw it into 5th gear I usually say "Let's see if those bastards can do 90!" Except I'm usually only going 60 and no one is chasing me lol.

Manual all the way!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by eight8toy View Post
    ^ Agreed. Inevitably every time I'm accelerating hard to merge on the freeway and I throw it into 5th gear I usually say "Let's see if those bastards can do 90!" Except I'm usually only going 60 and no one is chasing me lol.

Manual all the way!
    While the 5-speed is the more common and desirable choice, it doesn't seem to affect the value. They each have their pluses and minuses. All of the problems for each have their own fixes, the automatic often being more expensive to fix than the 5-speed.
    David Teitelbaum

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

The most important is get what YOU want and don't worry about other's preferences.

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The most important is get what YOU want and don't worry about other's preferences.
    Yes, this ^

Mods, please close this thread as we've reached a conclusion.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

When I would dream about getting a D I always assumed I would only be interested in a manual. When I began seriously considering buying one I was still not even considering an automatic. Then I test drove 10287 and did a complete turn around; I was not disappointed at all, much more pleasantly surprised that the car was still very entertaining and relaxed to drive. It's been nearly 5 years with an auto and I am still very happy. I have had the governor rebuilt and replaced the filter and pan gasket and that has been it.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

While I havent driven a manual..the 4 miles I drove in my automatic was quite nice (aside of all the creaking and wheel falling off)...hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

"Historically" a manual has been more "popular". There was a point in time where it was being reported that build cars from DMCH were being ordered almost exclusively as autos. Different strokes for different folks. I've got one of each with an extra side of manual. My best advice for anyone is get the best overall car you can afford no matter trans or interior color or year or whatever. That is, unless price is no object of course. I'm pretty sure there are multiple threads similar to this one if you dig deep enough.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

We only build manual gearbox cars for what it's worth. Also stopped producing stainless frame sections for auto cars. They leak in ways that require massive work to fix, can't take serious power without massive modifications and take away more than they give in general.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast