FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Heavy throttle

My VIN:    6409

Club(s):   (DOC-UK) (DOI)

Heavy throttle

Hi guys
    I've driven a few Deloreans and one thing I have noticed is some cars have a very light snappy response to the accelerator pedal while other cars have heavy throttle s in comparison ..

At least 2 of the cars had new inner and outer accelerator cables replaced and we're still heavy on the pedal .
    All of them were manual gearbox cars .

Is it anything to do with the spool ?

Thanks
    Shane
    Last edited by cis6409; 06-12-2017 at 06:10 PM.
    only from the past can we choose the correct path for the future...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There are 3 springs in the throttle system and 2 of them are in the throttle spool. There is an adjustment to make one of the springs tighter which makes the throttle (accelerator pedal) harder to move. Usually done to get the throttle to return all the way to idle because the throttle cable and throttle spool become "sticky" because the old grease gets gummy. The fix is to lubricate the throttle cable as per the recall and disassemble, clean, relube and reassemble the throttle spool.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

4 springs

1 Pedal return
    1 inner throttle spool
    1 Outer throttle spool (2 position adjustable)
    1 throttle plate shaft.

The Large outer spool spring is the one that impacts the heavy feel the most. I removed that spring years ago and it made a night and day difference. That said, I've also done other modifications to eliminate the need for the big spring too.

If you remove the big spring, you will feel the difference immediately, however, you may have issues with having enough return spring force to trip the Idle micro switch. It can be hit or miss. Lubricating all the springs will help reduce system friction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

The throttle cable itself (if original) is probably taking a mud bath. When i replaced my original cable, I blew out the sheath and got a paper towel full of mud. After a good cleaning and fresh lube the difference was night and day. Couple that with the spring maintenance and you're laughing.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    03572

I had a sticky throttle and fixing it was just a matter of greasing that spool spring. I guess the spring had to much friction between the coils.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    6409

Club(s):   (DOC-UK) (DOI)

Thanks guys, that's great info
    I'll have a closer look into that

Thanks
    Shane
    only from the past can we choose the correct path for the future...

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    The Large outer spool spring is the one that impacts the heavy feel the most. I removed that spring years ago and it made a night and day difference. That said, I've also done other modifications to eliminate the need for the big spring too.

If you remove the big spring, you will feel the difference immediately, however, you may have issues with having enough return spring force to trip the Idle micro switch. It can be hit or miss. Lubricating all the springs will help reduce system friction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1 I also have been driving without the large outer spring. As long as your throttle cable is in good shape, you can enjoy the reduced pedal effort. Having less tension on the cable also prolongs its life.

There are at least two different types of wires,
    the 1/19 is the stiffer one, they are very common, most shops have
    those on stock, are used on bicycles...so if you need a replacement NOW -
    yoiu most likely will get this one. (ask me why I know that )

But the original one ist the 7/7 which can be bent more easy
    and guess what - the throttle moves great again.
    Hard to find, I finally bought a set of 5...

I think they have 1.5mm diameter