FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Should I rebuild the engine in my CRX?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    10907

Should I rebuild the engine in my CRX?

So my daily driver didn't pass inspection. My mechanic says it's burning oil and I might be able to get it through with a heavier oil and/or registering it in a county with no emissions testing, but at most I'd be buying another year or two. It's got 280, 000 miles on it. To get the engine rebuilt would be around $5000. I guess numerically it doesn't make sense since the plastic panels are cracked and the metal panels are rusting and it probably needs some suspension work too, plus it's getting increasingly hard to find parts for.

But I kind of want to do it anyway just because I've literally had this car for almost my entire adult life and it's been more reliable than my immediate family. And I just don't like any other kind of car (aside from the obvious).

I guess I could try and do it myself but I don't have a lot of mechanical experience.

I wish I were the kind of person who could let go of things easily...

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Tough choice....you'd never get back what you put into it..those are worth about $2000 or so.

Can understand the sentimental value though...and who knows, in 20 years it might be worth something

Of course $5000 would get you a pretty nice daily runner like a Mustang or something...or you could put that into the D and make that your daily
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Find a compatable jdm engine. Most engines imported from japan have less than 40k on them. I got a swap done on my integra back in the day, paid 600 for a 37k mile engine, and 500 to install. Sold the car years later, and it's still on the road today.
    Soundkillr was here.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Probably cheaper to go to a junkyard (auto recycler) and get another motor. Try to get another from the same model and year and with the same options so you don't have to modify anything. If possible you want to see it run before they remove it.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

IMO if you replace the engine, its better to get a crate motor thats got a warranty than something from a junkyard..cost a little more but worth it.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Since you like it you should keep it! There must be a salvage yard near you with a CRX engine or a similar Honda mill for less than $1000. If not near you then someone, somewhere has an engine they are dying to sell. Off to craigslist!!
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6