Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
It can happen pretty easily. If the test is done cold, compression will measure much lower. If the throttle isn't held open during testing, compression will measure much lower.

Since all four cylinders read basically the same low number, one of those two conditions is likely.

Replacing piston rings is a hell of a job, and NOT advised for the inexperienced. If something is actually wrong enough with the engine to require rebuild, on a common car like this it is cheaper to just put a replacement used engine in. A rebuild takes a long time, so the labor costs skyrocket pretty quickly.

Taking a quick look at eBay, used motors for your car are not expensive at all.
There was a used one I was looking at from a salvage yard, but it was still going to be around $2500 to get it shipped and installed and only would have been warrantied for 30 days so I felt like it might be better to just spend the extra to get the existing motor overhauled.

Then again, once it gets started it actually runs OK (or at least not noticeably worse than it has for years) and doesn't visibly smoke or anything, so if I can get it to start reliably in less than 3 tries maybe I'll just keep on truckin' and see if I can make it to 300,000...