FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Should I rebuild the engine in my CRX?

My VIN:    10907

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    It can happen pretty easily. If the test is done cold, compression will measure much lower. If the throttle isn't held open during testing, compression will measure much lower.

Since all four cylinders read basically the same low number, one of those two conditions is likely.

Replacing piston rings is a hell of a job, and NOT advised for the inexperienced. If something is actually wrong enough with the engine to require rebuild, on a common car like this it is cheaper to just put a replacement used engine in. A rebuild takes a long time, so the labor costs skyrocket pretty quickly.

Taking a quick look at eBay, used motors for your car are not expensive at all.
    There was a used one I was looking at from a salvage yard, but it was still going to be around $2500 to get it shipped and installed and only would have been warrantied for 30 days so I felt like it might be better to just spend the extra to get the existing motor overhauled.

Then again, once it gets started it actually runs OK (or at least not noticeably worse than it has for years) and doesn't visibly smoke or anything, so if I can get it to start reliably in less than 3 tries maybe I'll just keep on truckin' and see if I can make it to 300,000...

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Guess you wont be needing the Delorean then
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Guess you wont be needing the Delorean then
    Well, the D does get more attention (and not from hobos and security guards, lol...)

Although every now and then I do still contemplate yanking the CRX's engine out, getting it rebuilt and then finding a D with a trashed engine to put it in, since most of my complaints about the D are how differently it drives than the CRX, and most of my complaints about the CRX are how fragile the body is (and that it needs more than a foot of side clearance to open the doors). But asking an engine that was meant to pull a 1400 lb car to push a 2700 lb one is probably a recipe for disaster, *sigh*...

It'd be like 'The Little D that thought it could'.....
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    Midproduction

I know a guy nearby that swapped his PRV for a CRX engine. I think he's very happy with it, although he'll probably swap his transmission to a Manual in the not too distant future. What gearbox are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnc View Post
    I know a guy nearby that swapped his PRV for a CRX engine. I think he's very happy with it, although he'll probably swap his transmission to a Manual in the not too distant future. What gearbox are you running?
    I would be interested in hearing more about this...

Mine's just the stock 5-speed. The car in general is pretty no-frills (base model, carburated 1.5L engine). It's an 87, which was the first gen and not as popular with hot-rodders so there aren't quite as many options for replacement engines and other parts, either. The idea of having its heart beat again in my dream car appeals to me in a Bride of Re-Animator kind of way, though...

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

It would be a terrible idea to put one of those motors in the DeLorean. It has even less horsepower and torque than the PRV, so the car would be even slower, lol.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Maybe I should just do something like this...

https://www.facebook.com/hondacollec...type=3&theater

Thats just scary...lol
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    Midproduction

My apologies - I meant a VW VR6, Engine model: AFP, 2.8L in his Delorean. I thought you were talking about putting a CRX in a Delorean. I'll read more carefully next time :P

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    I would be interested in hearing more about this...

Mine's just the stock 5-speed. The car in general is pretty no-frills (base model, carburated 1.5L engine). It's an 87, which was the first gen and not as popular with hot-rodders so there aren't quite as many options for replacement engines and other parts, either. The idea of having its heart beat again in my dream car appeals to me in a Bride of Re-Animator kind of way, though...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast