FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible fuel system issues

My VIN:    6683

Club(s):   (TXDMC) (DOI)

Possible fuel system issues

So I think I have a fuel system issue. I'm look for some help to diagnose it. I recently had to replace a fuel line due to a small spray.
    The symptoms I had today are:

1) The engine lopes at idle. Between 5 - 10 rpms. Seems to want to be at 7.
    2) today after driving about 30 miles I had a loss of power. It got worse and the engine would not increase RPMs. Once I had the vehile towed home, it ws fine.

I'm thinking it may be a vacum leak. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thnx

Gavin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gavin
    Vin 6683
    02 RSX
    12 Ram 1500

My VIN:    3937

Is your car an automatic or manual transmission?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Is your car an automatic or manual transmission?
    Manuel.

Gavin
    Vin 6683
    02 RSX
    12 Ram 1500

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Vacuum leaks don't typically come and go. They're either an issue all the time, or none of the time.

I'm not reading enough information to help out quite yet. What fuel line did you replace? Is this a new problem? Any other recent work? Did you try and adjust the mixture? Is the car new to you? ever had a hot start problem? A cold start problem? When the engine dies do you still have spark?

Much more info needed.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Vacuum leaks don't typically come and go. They're either an issue all the time, or none of the time.

I'm not reading enough information to help out quite yet. What fuel line did you replace? Is this a new problem? Any other recent work? Did you try and adjust the mixture? Is the car new to you? ever had a hot start problem? A cold start problem? When the engine dies do you still have spark?

Much more info needed.
    Hi there,
    The fuel supply line was replaced. It had a small spray. It ran fine after that.

The idling and RPM issues are new. Only recent work is replacing the alternator belt. I have not tried to adjust the mixture. Not sure how. The car is new to me, yes. Never had cold or hot start problems. When I had the issue driving the RPMs. Would not increase. After the engine was turned off for about half an hour it would start and increase RPMs, but the idle loped between about 600 to 1000 RPMs.

Thank you for responding

Gavin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Gavin
    Vin 6683
    02 RSX
    12 Ram 1500

A hunting idle isn't ideal but its not uncommon, and it's a good thing you haven't tried to adjust your fuel mixture without the proper know how. People often make things worse. Changing the send line from the filter to the distributor wont cause a time-based power loss issue.

Start by checking all your vacuum lines are routed properly. Use the diagram under the engine cover.

Have you ever used CIS fuel gauges to check fuel pressures?

You're either loosing fuel or spark after 30 minutes. Next time it happens, use a spark plug light tester to see if you still have spark. Are you running the blue Bosch coil or something else?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

A hunting idle isn't ideal but its not uncommon, and it's a good thing you haven't tried to adjust your fuel mixture without the proper know how. People often make things worse. Changing the send line from the filter to the distributor wont cause a time-based power loss issue.

Start by checking all your vacuum lines are routed properly. Use the diagram under the engine cover.

Have you ever used CIS fuel gauges to check fuel pressures?

You're either loosing fuel or spark after 30 minutes. Next time it happens, use a spark plug light tester to see if you still have spark. Are you running the blue Bosch coil or something else?
    Hi,
    No I haven't adjusted the fuel mixture. I'm thinking I'll check the vacum lines and the fuel filter. I have not used a CIS fuel guages.

I think I have spark because after half an hour the engine will turn over and starts, but then has erratic idle Rpms. I am not sure if I have the Bosch coil. The car is very new to me lol.

Gavin
    Vin 6683
    02 RSX
    12 Ram 1500

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
    I think I have spark because after half an hour the engine will turn over and starts, but then has erratic idle Rpms. I am not sure if I have the Bosch coil. The car is very new to me lol.

That doesn't mean you have spark when it stalls. We've seen a few aftermarket coils and even Bosch coils go bad; when they reach a certain temperature their spark gets weaker and weaker until it essentially dies. Once the coil cools down, it makes decent spark again. Happened to me.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

That doesn't mean you have spark when it stalls. We've seen a few aftermarket coils and even Bosch coils go bad; when they reach a certain temperature their spark gets weaker and weaker until it essentially dies. Once the coil cools down, it makes decent spark again. Happened to me.
    Ah. I get it now. Would bad spark cause the erratic idle??

Gavin
    Vin 6683
    02 RSX
    12 Ram 1500

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin View Post
    Ah. I get it now. Would bad spark cause the erratic idle??

You should post a video. It sounds to me like you're describing the classic hunting idle, where the idle oscillates between say 500 and 1000 rpm. That's essentially the fuel system chasing its own tail. Again, it's not necessarily a bad thing and it can be tweaked.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast