FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Painting calipers

Painting calipers

I'm rebuilding my calipers following a "how to" instruction posted by David Jacobs back in 2003. He's done a good job with the instructions (lots of pictures) and they have really helped. He strongly recommends bead blasting the caliper to clean it up. Then he suggests painting the caliper with Dupli-Color clear engine ceramic spray paint (500 deg F). He mentions he was hesitant to put the painting step in the instructions because he felt it would get a lot of flack. But he decided to include it because it worked out so well on his DeLorean and on a number of other cars. The claim is that in addition to protecting the caliper from rusting, it also helps keep them from attracting dirt and grime. And while washing the car, he noticed that just a spray of water makes the caliper look brand new again. I know a lot of folks re-plate their break parts and they look great. But I wanted something I could do myself and maintain the original look.

Has anyone else painted their calipers? Are there any cautions or concerns?

Thanks,
    Ron

My VIN:    10353

I've painted calipers on my other cars while they were still attached, not that hard. I used a simple brush on kit you can buy online specifically for high heat calipers. It's pretty easy, just avoid the rubber parts (mask them off) and do a few coats if needed. If yours are still off the car then the spray paint would probably be easier. Can't really see them on the Delorean with the original rims so wouldn't go with red color!

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I have painted calipers on the car, but now that i have the equipment I powder coat them. Since you are rebuilding them I recommend zinc plating or powder coating. Powder coating is by far the most durable coating, zinc would be the least durable assuming you do good prep on painting.

Instructions for painting:

-Soak the calipers in Evaporust, clean up with a wire wheel. OR have them bead blasted
    -Clean with brake cleaner
    -Mask of piston bore and passages
    -Apply 2 coats of self etching primer
    -Apply at least 3 coats of high temp paint
    -Optional: follow instructions and bake calipers in an oven.

Instructions for powder coating based on Eastwood's kit:
    -Soak the calipers in Evaporust, clean up with a wire wheel. OR have them bead blasted
    -Preheat calipers in oven for 15-20 mins @500F
    -Apply powdercoat
    -Put calipers back in oven and bake for 20-30 mins after they powdercoat flows.

Alternatively you could hire out the powder coating like you would do zinc coating.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

OP - is this how-to from David Jacobs something you can link to, please. I think we may all like to see it.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    OP - is this how-to from David Jacobs something you can link to, please. I think we may all like to see it.
    Here is the thread:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...-Brake-Caliper

Dave included jpg graphics of the article he wrote for Gullwing magazine in 2003. The graphics are pretty low resolution and each page is a separate graphic. I took the liberty of assembling his instructions into a single PDF file. Of course the resolution is still poor but it is at least assembled into one document and can be printed to take with you to the garage. I have attached the PDF file.

Ron
    Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I have painted calipers on the car, but now that i have the equipment I powder coat them. Since you are rebuilding them I recommend zinc plating or powder coating. Powder coating is by far the most durable coating, zinc would be the least durable assuming you do good prep on painting.

Instructions for painting:

-Apply 2 coats of self etching primer
    -Apply at least 3 coats of high temp paint
    -Optional: follow instructions and bake calipers in an oven.

Instructions for powder coating based on Eastwood's kit:
    -Preheat calipers in oven for 15-20 mins @500F
    -Apply powdercoat
    -Put calipers back in oven and bake for 20-30 mins after they powdercoat flows.

Alternatively you could hire out the powder coating like you would do zinc coating.
    Excellent detail! Thanks, Ron

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Eastwood (eastwood.com) makes paint specifically for calipers (not powder). Look over their product line. Cleaning and prep is the biggest part and bead blasting is the preferred method but you can wire brush them and it comes out OK too. Most of the vendors have an exchange program and they plate the calipers. You can get just the caliper or you can get it "loaded", ie, rebuilt and with the pads and hardware all done too. They send you the calipers and charge you a core that gets refunded when you send in your old ones. That way you aren't "down" very long. Getting your calipers blasted and painted or plated is not very economical because you have such a small quantity they will charge you way more than the vendors will since they send out large batches.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Thanks Ron
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    I took the liberty of assembling his instructions into a single PDF file.
    Thanks! ...I added it to Dave's How To.