FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Can't get tie rod off

Can't get tie rod off

As you can see in the photo the top not is off, PB blaster is on and it's not moving when I hammer on it with a piece of wood in between What am I missing? image.jpg
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

put the nut on and hit that. The nut saves the threads. The wood is acting as a cushion taking the power away from your swings.

You can also get this tool and press it out

https://www.harborfreight.com/tie-ro...ler-62708.html

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    put the nut on and hit that. The nut saves the threads. The wood is acting as a cushion taking the power away from your swings.

You can also get this tool and press it out

https://www.harborfreight.com/tie-ro...ler-62708.html
    Thanks! I finally got that thing off. My nut looks ruined though. The top is flat. Or can it still be used? I discovered the rubber on the tie rod is cracking. Can you get the rubber or the tie rod ends at your local auto place?
    81' gas flap. Sept build. 14k miles. Mostly original. Updating things...

no x ref that i know of. the tie rod ends are very affordable from dmc. Just had to tow my friends car home after his tie rod end failed, not worth cheaping out on.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Actually the correct way to separate this joint is to unscrew the nut almost all the way. DO NOT hit the nut. Now strike the small bump you see on the knuckle casting as hard as you can with the heaviest hammer you have. (you will be swinging the hammer horizontally.) This actually deforms the knuckle slightly and the joint will simply pop apart.

The rubber seal is available at DMC shops in the $6 range. They whole tie rod end (in case you've now smashed the threads) is also available for about $25.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Actually the correct way to separate this joint is to unscrew the nut almost all the way. DO NOT hit the nut. Now strike the small bump you see on the knuckle casting as hard as you can with the heaviest hammer you have. (you will be swinging the hammer horizontally.) This actually deforms the knuckle slightly and the joint will simply pop apart.

The rubber seal is available at DMC shops in the $6 range. They whole tie rod end (in case you've now smashed the threads) is also available for about $25.
    I bow my head in silence and allow the master to speak!

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Can't get tie rod off

I addition to hitting the side of the knuckle method, you can still hit the top of the stud with the nut flush.The key is to put a jack (bottle or floor type) under the steering arm next to the ball joint. Put a little upward pressure on the arm, then smack the top of stud. This stops the Bounce when you smack it unsupported. It usually pops with 1 or 2 good smacks. Also if you were replacing the rod ends, protecting the threads would not matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 06-16-2017 at 09:19 AM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Hitting the threaded stud is not the best way. I have seen where they bend or mushroom. Definitely no good if you want to reuse it and just change the dust cover (boot). Hitting it on the side is the way to go if you don't have a puller. Takes a big, heavy hammer and plenty of room to swing it so you can hit it really hard and fast. Sometimes it can take several smacks.
    David Teitelbaum