FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Selling a DeLorean

Selling a DeLorean

I have a 1981 DeLorean...what is the best way to sell it? Colly

My VIN:    16377

On here? In the For Sale section. Online in general? eBay, craigslist, Cars.com Autotrader.com, Hemmings, Chris Burn's Facebook page... possibilities are endless.

Good luck selling it. Make sure you take detailed pictures of the frame.

-Nick

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Where are you? Gotta give us the basics. VIN, condition, miles, pics. Read the rules and post a valid ad in the for sale section.

How to sell my DeLorean

Quote Originally Posted by Colly View Post
    I have a 1981 DeLorean...what is the best way to sell it? Colly
    I am totally new to this process. This was our car and I am now in charge of selling it and do not know the first thing about how. I think the VIN number is 1908 and the car is lovely. Inside is black and in great condition as well as the outside with NO problems. My Hubby kept it great condition, detailing and mechanics and always in the garage.. I have all the records. He drove it until February of this year. The mileage is near 69,000 miles. I was always in So. California, but have moved to Santa Cruz County, CA. Thanks for your help...I really need it. Colly

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Post it on Craig's list or E-bay.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5470

Quote Originally Posted by Colly View Post
    I am totally new to this process. This was our car and I am now in charge of selling it and do not know the first thing about how. I think the VIN number is 1908 and the car is lovely. Inside is black and in great condition as well as the outside with NO problems. My Hubby kept it great condition, detailing and mechanics and always in the garage.. I have all the records. He drove it until February of this year. The mileage is near 69,000 miles. I was always in So. California, but have moved to Santa Cruz County, CA. Thanks for your help...I really need it. Colly
    Colly - it sounds like you've found yourself selling something that you don't quite know the value of. And while people here could give you an idea based on specs, I find the best way to determine the true value is to list it on ebay and let the market tell you. Take good photos, set a high reserve and see what happens. I've seen prices all over the board. One week a motorless car will sell for $15k, then next week a running one for $18k, which doesn't add up given the amount it would take to get the first one to the condition of the second. You've covered the basic details here, which will be good for your ad. Definitely mention the service records and the regular use up until February - those increase the value more than low mileage. Obviously, you'll want to include transmission type, but that should be apparent from the photos you take too. List any upgrades you may know of (AC upgraded to newer refrigerant, plastic coolant bottle replaced with a metal one, upgraded fuel lines are just a few.). I'm willing to bet if you took some detailed engine bay photos, the nice people here would help you figure out if those items have been done.

Good luck, and let us know how else we can help.

My VIN:    15297

I would check to see if there is a DeLorean owners club in your local area. These owners will give you a reasonable assessment of the value of your vehicle. Once a value has been obtained. Put your vehicle for sale on this site. This will help you obtain real DeLorean prospects. You want to avoid the tire kickers and the want a bees.

My VIN:    3937

My condolences if this came to be because of losing your husband.

I suspect this car, or the hobby in general, isn't something you want to become an expert in or even continue to be apart of. What might prove to be the simplest and best option for you would be to call the guys at the DMC California franchise, explain the situation to them and allow them to help you sell the car.

You will still need to develop some trust and feel good about placing this responsibility in their hands, but they are the experts and can find a new owner for this car where everyone comes out of it content and satisfied. This would be my suggestion to you. Their contact info can be found here:

https://www.dmccalifornia.com/contacts.php

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    My condolences if this came to be because of losing your husband.

I suspect this car, or the hobby in general, isn't something you want to become an expert in or even continue to be apart of. What might prove to be the simplest and best option for you would be to call the guys at the DMC California franchise, explain the situation to them and allow them to help you sell the car.

https://www.dmccalifornia.com/contacts.php
    I agree.

My VIN:    10644

If the car is in Santa Cruz, I would be willing to come have a look and give you an idea of how to proceed. Private message me here if you'd like some help.

-Christian

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast