FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Got a new clutch, having problems shifting into reverse..

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    As in "all the teeth on reverse gear"?

This typically means one of a couple things:

1 - Air in the hydraulic system. Bleed it again
    2 - Flywheel was not "stepped" properly when cut, i.e. too thick. Find another machine shop.
    3 - Defective pressure plate. Rare but it happens
    4 - Mis-adjusted adjustable link. If you HAVE an adjustable link, please check the linkage and the pins for wear. There are a bunch of them out there that were improperly made and the pins and the link wear rapidly. This will cause the same symptom, and eventually the link or pins will fail causing clutch action to stop working.
    Having worked on a lot of clutches (not only on Deloreans) I have seen where the clutch disc is not perfectly flat and even with full release they drag till you wear off the high spots. Most noticeable in any gear that does not have syncros like reverse in Deloreans. In many other cars 1st doesn't have syncros so you notice a lot of grinding in 1st too. Like on older Jaguars. Stopping the car, shifting into 1st and then reverse and even double-clutching will help till it wears a bit. Definitely check the 4 things Dave mentioned but if it still grinds be careful and give it time.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    The crossover cable adjustment is above the end transmission end cover. Its probably not the issue though, If you don't have issues finding 1st and 3rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually, I do have a little bit of an issue with first and third... it's not glaringly bad, just takes a little finessing to get it into first, and going from 4th to 3rd when slowing down and coming to a stop...

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Having worked on a lot of clutches (not only on Deloreans) I have seen where the clutch disc is not perfectly flat and even with full release they drag till you wear off the high spots. Most noticeable in any gear that does not have syncros like reverse in Deloreans. In many other cars 1st doesn't have syncros so you notice a lot of grinding in 1st too. Like on older Jaguars. Stopping the car, shifting into 1st and then reverse and even double-clutching will help till it wears a bit. Definitely check the 4 things Dave mentioned but if it still grinds be careful and give it time.
    Will do. Thanks for the tips as well.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Actually, I do have a little bit of an issue with first and third... it's not glaringly bad, just takes a little finessing to get it into first, and going from 4th to 3rd when slowing down and coming to a stop...
    If you find that you need to adjust the cable, Jimmy (powerline84) shared this handy picture of the cable and the adjustment.

image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Is that looking up from under the car? And I'm guessing by adjusting it backwards, it helps with shifting into reverse?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Timebender View Post
    Is that looking up from under the car? And I'm guessing by adjusting it backwards, it helps with shifting into reverse?
    Yes, it is a view looking up. I guess the opinion here is that it doesn't help with reverse, but since you are having issues with first, try adjusting it backwards just until first is easier. You can then see if it also helps with reverse. The adjustment is very sensitive.... it doesn't take much.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Thanks - I'll give it a go as soon as possible

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2