FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Wires and clock.

Wires and clock.

Hi folks. I am trying to figure out where these wires are attached to. They were unplugged prior to shipping. I've got the door lights hooked up with the black wire. These two are hanging out. Also that little green clock under the air conditioning controls doesn't turn on. I was told this was common. Any advice? Thanks much!IMG_0297.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sept1885; 06-16-2017 at 11:00 AM.

My VIN:    3937

The interior lighting schematic is the last image in the 1st post of this thread:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?40...ing-Schematics

Assuming this is the driver's side wires you are holding, then you want the P/U (purple and blue) wire to hook up to one side of the door switch plunger and one of the black (ground) wires to the other side of that same switch. The passenger side will be similar.

What gets confusing is that there are two door plunger switches on the driver's side. One for the interior/door lights and the other switch for the door buzzer. If you haven't heard what it sounds like yet, just think about the scene from Dumb and Dumber where Lloyd does his "most annoying sound in the world" bit. Most of those door buzzers are unplugged for this reason.

In that same thread, you can find just about all the wiring diagrams you need, including the overall colour wiring diagram for the entire car. These are good references for figuring things out.

The console clocks are, yes, known to fail. The originals are anyway. Yours might be broken in some way or it might just be the fuse or something else simple.

Look at the second photo in this post:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...l=1#post165448

That round connector is for the clock. It is underneath the shifter plate. You can also see the rheostat wiring (the rheostat dims your instrument cluster lights, or it was meant to do that anyway). Something might have gotten screwy under there with the connector. The clock is on fuse #11 and this is also shared with the power windows. If your windows also don't work, it could be the fuse. You didn't mention your windows not working, so that's probably not it.

If you go into the area under the shifter and inspect the clock, you may find it isn't working (you can put 12v to it on a bench to test it). Some can be fixed with some soldering, others might require more effort. You can also buy a replacement as a few different owners have offered modern replacements on here or elsewhere. Try not to damage the glass lens when handling it as some replacements require you to keep using that portion while the guts underneath are the new part.

Welcome to the forum and DeLorean ownership. Did you just get your car? Tell us a little about the car and yourself. Location, VIN, transmission type, etc.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Smile Thanks!

Wow! Thanks for the reply! You are very kind.

I purchased my '81 DMC-12 from Gulf Coast Motorworks. It was delivered last Thursday. It was manufactured in July of 1981. Black interior. The rims need a new paint job but overall they look good. VIN: SCEDT26T5BD002513

So far the only issue has been electrical. When I received it the radio and speakers didn't work. While I was driving the car the radio started working out of the blue. I like the door lights so I plugged those back in. I have no intention of plugging in the door buzzer. I am just confused by that third wire. I can live with the clock not working although it would be nice to get to work if I could. The handbrake light doesn't light up when the handbrake is up. I really don't know when the others are supposed to be on (gas light, oil, battery) but I assume they come on when there is a problem.

I am able to do some electrical work. I've been working on old pinball machines for 20 years and have experience fixing circuit boards, reading schematics, etc. But a car is totally different. I am way too nervous trying to tinker with anything in this car. I thought of putting in some LEDs for efficiency. But just to have a DeLorean in my garage is good enough for me.

Thanks for welcoming me to the community!

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    If you haven't heard what it sounds like yet, just think about the scene from Dumb and Dumber where Lloyd does his "most annoying sound in the world" bit. Most of those door buzzers are unplugged for this reason.
    I think everyone should hear that sound at least once in their ownership...its a bit disconcerting if you dont realize what it is at first...lol
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Sept1885 View Post
    So far the only issue has been electrical. When I received it the radio and speakers didn't work. While I was driving the car the radio started working out of the blue. I like the door lights so I plugged those back in. I have no intention of plugging in the door buzzer. I am just confused by that third wire. I can live with the clock not working although it would be nice to get to work if I could. The handbrake light doesn't light up when the handbrake is up. I really don't know when the others are supposed to be on (gas light, oil, battery) but I assume they come on when there is a problem.

I am able to do some electrical work. I've been working on old pinball machines for 20 years and have experience fixing circuit boards, reading schematics, etc.
    Welcome to the world of DeLorean ownership and tinkering!

Great that you are handy with electrics if your car has been fiddled with by previous owners. A D isn't really that tough to sort out if you're patient and it hasn't already been rewired too badly.

Since you can read elec. schematics and are already facing a few such issues I recommend you order one of the nice poster-size DeLorean Wiring Diagrams from DMCH or other DMC house. It's very specific, has all of the bulkhead fitting diagrams alongside. Relay and fuse reference diagrams, too.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior