FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting ready to start 5162 for the first time in a long time

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Toro8

Getting ready to start 5162 for the first time in a long time

I have had 5162 for a few months now. It has all of the regular been stored wrong problems. I worked on the fuel injection for a while, then a carb kit became avalible 6 blocks from my house so I took that as a sign to have it changed over. One interesting thing was when I was cleaning fuel injection I disconnected the fuel line from the pump it was still under pressure after sitting for at least 10 years. So after putting some oil in the cylinders with the plugs out I cranked it over untill it built up oil pressure Oil light went off pretty quickly. I had it running for the previous owner 15 years ago or so. Looking forward to hearing it run again. Then I can start on it's other needs. I have parts to go through brakes and then I will do coolant hoses tires and then be ready to try driving around the block an get it titled in my name.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Glad to see another D being brought back to life. Thats about the closest to my VIN as I Have heard about yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Toro8 View Post
    One interesting thing was when I was cleaning fuel injection I disconnected the fuel line from the pump it was still under pressure after sitting for at least 10 years.
    That ain't rest pressure, bro!!
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

As you are a new owner, care to join the Delorean Owners Directory (DOD)?

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Congrats on the progress that you are making with the car!

Does your carb system use the Peugeot manifold or the custom fabricated manifold? Are you planning on running an electric pump or a mechanical fuel pump?

Andrew
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Toro8

I belive it is a Peugeot manifold a Ford carb. A kit from Bill with an electric fuel pump. We had storms come through last night so I have not tried to start it yet, maybe tonight if I can get ahead of cuting up branches and stuff.
    John near KC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I belive it is a Peugeot manifold a Ford carb. A kit from Bill with an electric fuel pump. We had storms come through last night so I have not tried to start it yet, maybe tonight if I can get ahead of cuting up branches and stuff.
    John near KC
    If you still have the K-Jet parts I suggest you put it back together. For the initial start-up you can try the carb but I have yet to see any of Bill's carb set-ups run well. Even on Bill's car, he is fiddling with it all the time.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

John near KC
    The Peugeot manifold with the 2150 carb is a great combo! I'm running Peugeot manifolds on both 4194 and 5052. I'm currently using the stock Peugeot Solex carbs, but if either ever fails, I will swap it out with a 2150.

Eventually, you may want to consider upgrading to a mechanical fuel pump. I can provide the part numbers if you are interested.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

If the k-Jet was sitting for 10 years I don't think one will fire up better than the other. K-jet doesn't like inactivity.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Toro8

Rolled it out of the shop, fire extinguisher out, deep breath heart beating fast, turned the key, started right up, idled smoothly, good oil pressure, temp warmed up, sounded pretty good no bad sounds, leaking exhaust manifold, and only 13 volts. So over all I was pretty stoked, drove it back into the shop, ready to start on brakes. John near KC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast