FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Supercar Megabuild - Delorean reborn link

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I was playing around with a fascia design...and didnt save before I did one thing too many...lol. I'll have to start a new one, which is fine cause I can do it better..hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    4675, 4190, 3114 and others

Club(s):   (DMA) (DMWC) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

New front fascia

Timebender,

An interesting cross section profile. It certainly does look more up to date from the side view.

I have been doing more research on rear spoilers. There are two candidates. The elevated cross wing similar to the JZD proposals (aka Pontiac Firebird 1969 Trans Am and the GTO Judge) is one idea.

The other is the lower integrated design similar to the Toyota cresida, 1970 Camaro Z 28.

The biggest challenge with these is the louver panel has to clear them. Unfortunately, the louver panel extends a number of inches over the rear fascia.

It would be great if you could just add the spoiler to the louver panel. Then everything would fit.

Will have to do some mock ups.

BOb

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Bob635 View Post
    It would be great if you could just add the spoiler to the louver panel. Then everything would fit.
    Just tossing this out there, but how much of a risk do you think that attaching a spoiler to the louver panel as-is would be to the louvers? With traditional trunks, they have a secure latch to hold them in place, which in turn is securely bolted to the body. The louvers just clip onto the engine cover, which itself can come loose from it's own striker latch since it wasn't really meant to be that much of a load bearing structure. Would that need to be strengthened?

Otherwise, what about Guargio's concept for the 1984 Turbo model's spoiler? Nice little integration into the louvers/engine cover...

Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Louver Spoiler

Rob,

This is just what I was thinking. Did not know that this was actually proposed. Simple clean and easy to do.

As for the question of stresses, all the spoiler does (over 60 mph) is add some downward force on the rear. This would help keep it latched
    so the current system is just fine.

Thanks for these pics, I had never seen them.

Bob

My VIN:    07000

Timebender,

An interesting cross section profile. It certainly does look more up to date from the side view.

I have been doing more research on rear spoilers. There are two candidates. The elevated cross wing similar to the JZD proposals (aka Pontiac Firebird 1969 Trans Am and the GTO Judge) is one idea.

The other is the lower integrated design similar to the Toyota cresida, 1970 Camaro Z 28.

The biggest challenge with these is the louver panel has to clear them. Unfortunately, the louver panel extends a number of inches over the rear fascia.

Will have to do some mock ups.

BOb
    First off, thanks Bob.

Second, I have a huge spoiler on the back of my DeLorean, and it doesn't seem to have any adverse effects on it since it was put on by the original owner back in the mid-80's.

Third, I'd lose the louvers altogether. Now, the trick to this is you have to have a nice clean, cool, shiny engine in there. But the design would be more in line with the Audi R8, a frame (with some vents at the rear for heat expulsion of course), with a big Lexan window where the louvers are now - you could go with a more geometric design, where the window starts out narrow at the bottom then widens towards the top, or whatever, but the idea is you now have a way to show off, if you have one, your shiny big ultra-rad engine.

Just a thought.

1984 Delorean Turbo

Two interesting things I noticed in this design.

1. The rear lover is gone. The rear deck is flat but has vent portals.

2. The front turn signals are smaller and more centered to the headlights. The makes the front end
    look more symmetrical and cleaner.

Some food for thought.

Bob

Clear rear deck?

On the 2015 electric D, we have replaced the louver and cover with a dark lexan/polycarbonate deck that opens, so you can see the batteries through.
    (added a 3rd hinge).

This polycarbonate cover is stable because it does not have to deal with engine heat. Lexan will creep with the level of heat from an engine,
    However, there are some thermoplastics what won't and they are used on today's engines.

There still has to be venting to deal with the engine heat - especially a V8.

So, fiberglass -long strand- would be the best starting material for a one off prototype. Next it comes down to
    what are modern looking louvers?

My VIN:    6585

No worries, Bob. I don't seem to have a copy of it, but there was also an interior sketch for the '84 Turbo model that relocated the radio into an overhead console. Leaving the center console to use an equalizer for an upgraded factory sound system.

With that exterior sketch though, there are a few aesthetic differences, but the big one of note are the ground effects. In the past I remember lots of owners who said they would get fuel economy in the high 20's, and a couple that even claimed to have broke into 30+ mpg on highway driving. The only thing I could ever find that they had in common were 5-speed transmissions, and those ground effects kits. Particularly they all had rear valances installed.

I've seen some passing comments on Lotus boards in the past stating that to maintain fuel economy, the Esprit needs to keep it's rear valance/diffuser installed at all times. We know that the pre-production car had that valance installed, but was somehow mysteriously dropped at the last minute (just as the suspension was raised). Now I'm no expert, but I'd be willing to bet that you could increase the downforce with a proper diffuser, without having to install a larger spoiler/wing. That would also give the bonus of an ease of installation, not to mention create less drag on the car as a whole.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    07000

On the 2015 electric D, we have replaced the louver and cover with a dark lexan/polycarbonate deck that opens, so you can see the batteries through.
    (added a 3rd hinge).

This polycarbonate cover is stable because it does not have to deal with engine heat. Lexan will creep with the level of heat from an engine,
    However, there are some thermoplastics what won't and they are used on today's engines.

There still has to be venting to deal with the engine heat - especially a V8.

So, fiberglass -long strand- would be the best starting material for a one off prototype. Next it comes down to
    what are modern looking louvers?
    Then I'd recommend for a more modern or current look, fiberglass frame with the clear thermoplastic window, and as I mentioned before, vents near the bottom by the rear fascia.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Timebender I agree that the front end could use some updating. Is there a thread here on DMCTalk or elsewhere where the creatives and the fabricators can get together? I'd like to send you some sketches.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast