FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Supercar Megabuild - Delorean reborn link

My VIN:    4675, 4190, 3114 and others

Club(s):   (DMA) (DMWC) (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Updating the D exterior design is very difficult. The D was designed at a time when the "square look" was in. (rather than the curved aerodynamic look of most cars today.)

What this means is that the D was/is not aerodynamic as cars are today. Ironically, the "squared off" from end of the cars from the late 70s and 80s was based on an error in fuel economy measurements.

GM was doing a fuel economy test on their cars early 70s (24hrs per day, for months around a track). The cars would get dirty from bugs, so one of the drivers decided to put a bug deflector on the front end and surprise! It got BETTER fuel economy than the other test vehicles. (this was repeated and verified.)

So the "squared off" front end because a design criteria for a few years, until better testing was done.

So we are dealing with updating a car, while maintaining the "square" look. What the design team did was very good. It does look more modern, but there is no improvement in aerodynamics. This would only occur with a rounded edge on the front fascia. or a more protruding front bumper to allow for a longer radiused front end. You can see this design concept on early 80s sport cars.

OR

How about a Dodge "super bird" option? definitely improved aerodynamics and coolness!

Can someone do this up in photoshop? It would, at least be fun to see!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

That whole reg is very subjective and there can be a lot of interpretation. Because the basic shape of all of the S/S panels won't be changed, I don't think DMC will run afoul of that reg. From the sides the car will look the same. Once they mess with the front and rear they may now become subject to meeting current regs as far as visibility, candlepower, size of the lights, 3rd brakelight, etc. I doubt changing the interior is going to disqualify DMC either. They can argue that in order to make the car more desirable to today's market they had to include updated electronics like Nav, satellite radio, cell phone and a more luxurious design. They may have to meet all of the accident design criteria as far as sharp edges, knobs, flammability, cushions and such. The biggest challenge they will have is getting another drivetrain, fitting it, and passing emissions in all States. That is going to be the main factor in what the new car will cost and how many get made.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob635 View Post
    Updating the D exterior design is very difficult.

<snip>

How about a Dodge "super bird" option? definitely improved aerodynamics and coolness!

Can someone do this up in photoshop? It would, at least be fun to see!
    I think I have already seen something like Bob mentioned, if I'm not mistaken ...

JZD_FS-500_sketch.jpg

FS-500-sketch.jpg

I would love to get around to building a concept of the Fire Star 500 someday.

Maybe someday.

Rich,

I remember these pics too. Thanks for posting them .

One thing I don't understand is the double layer on the front end. Is that supposed to be a front spoiler?

The rear design would fit nicely with the new D I am working on. I will consider this.

Bob

Rich,

Any chance you have a junk rear fascia that I could use as a base for a new rear end?

Bob

Where's the bumper?

Did I miss something in these pictures?

Where is the rear bumper? The tail lights are the rear bumper? Not a good idea.

Bob

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

off topic but hey

I'm kind of surprised that no one has ever done a DMC-12 re-skin to make it look like the "Firestar 500." Look at the door - it's exactly the same as the DMC-12.

Looks like it could be done with body work. Maybe Rich W. will surprise us one day.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I took my redesign a different direction, but I didn't redesign it for today, I envisioned a redesign for the late 80's

1987DMC1.jpg

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I'm kind of surprised that no one has ever done a DMC-12 re-skin to make it look like the "Firestar 500." Look at the door - it's exactly the same as the DMC-12.

Looks like it could be done with body work. Maybe Rich W. will surprise us one day.
    I think the idea was to use many remaining parts that Marvin Katz owned at the time. Doors, tail lights, marker lights, etc. Originally the Firestar was to be built in Ohio.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    I think the idea was to use many remaining parts that Marvin Katz owned at the time. Doors, tail lights, marker lights, etc. Originally the Firestar was to be built in Ohio.
    This is correct. There are a few members on here that have seen "other parts" in the Ohio warehouse
    that may have been part of the early work done with the FireStar 500 project.

[delornut] is one member who may know part of the story. IIRC, there was a very interesting V8 engine
    at the warehouse (with DMC embossed aluminum rocker arm covers, back in the day before most CNC).

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast