Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Supercar Megabuild - Delorean reborn link

My VIN:    4665

Supercar Megabuild - Delorean reborn link

Stephen in Ireland. Must see TV.

https://youtu.be/ZbjbdlOp034

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Wow, nice concepts on the new prototype! I personally wouldn't opt for a wrapped exterior, but I can visualize the fresh fascias against the original brushed stainless, which I'm guessing will be a popular option in production. I anticipate the updated engine, wheels, fascias, electrics, interior etc. will make a desirable offering for the new DeLorean.

I also think that it's sufficiently different to minimize confusion with our originals.

Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 06-18-2017 at 02:22 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I will eat my shoe if a new car ever actually gets produced.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    5312

wtb that front and rear fascia...anddddd thats about it. I like our interiors they way they are tbh

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I like the front mostly...the back is ok, but just something off to me about it...the interior I think needed a bit more developing....the wrap..nope..
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Nothing witty here lest it offend

I like the headlights. That's really all. The rest of the car needs geometry changes and moderization, not aesthetics.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Well, if this is a focus clinic:

Like the front fascia.

Hate the rear fascia except for the way the exhausts are integrated. The white DMC will make no sense when license plates are put on.

Don't care for the new ipad gauge look. The binnacle isn't bad, just the graphics on the screen. Center console elbow pads look good. The old 1978 Renault 20 auto-box gear selector looks really out of place in this "modernized" interior.

Absolutely detest the "mood lighting" strips at the occupants neck level.

And the TV show was just the worst type of "reality" garbage where there is a faux deadline and faux manufactured drama.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    6585

Design, like art, is very subjective to individual tastes. So it is pointless arguing anything of the sort, because who is correct?

I am, however, rather saddened by this video and the image of the upcoming car it projects.

While the DMC-12 itself went from concept to production in record time, it has had the juxtaposed benefit of over 35+ years of community support to improve the car. That to me has always been the cornerstone of any revival of the marque. While the cars we drive did originate off the Dunmurry assembly line, the reliability has actually improved significantly over the years with the expansion of support from owner and vendor alike. They are very much the same cars then as they are now, but also in many ways are not, due to the improved experience that current owners have in contrast with the original ones. Things such as superseded parts, and the piece of mind of having a proven support network for instance have created a very different ownership experience than that which was first realized during the initial production run, and subsequent orphaning.

To throw all of that away with a reality show really damages the image of the new car coming out. Sure, I know that it's television, and it's not real (I have my doubts that the CNC'd engineering designs used were drafted from scratch on CAD, and were not simply the same existing ones used for the replica fiberglass facias, modified weeks/months in advance). But that right there is the problem. A press release stating how you're contracting with known industry engineering firms for things such as drivetrain components is good. That builds consumer confidence in the product to reassure everyone that the product is being designed with care. But to have two guys goofing around creating fake drama about how they're constantly behind schedule doesn't build that confidence. Never mind the fact that the interior is non-functional (look closely and you'll see that the tablet just sits over the 100%-stock center stack), but it blatantly comes across as a rushed, unfinished product. An integral part of the car being the result of fake comic buffoonery & drama? That just cheapens it.

If they got careless with the designs and just rushed them, what else was rushed? I'm not saying that is the case at all, but it is the message that seems to come across. As much as this show acts as a marketing tool as it spreads awareness, it seems like it also necessities some potential damage control efforts.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Nothing witty here lest it offend

It did come across as very contrived. You'd have to be naive not to see that. These reality shows are running a model that was innovative in 2000, but nobody anymore is really fooled by these scenes that are obviously fake as a three dollar bill. The shame is that the concept of the show is good: maybe a wealthy man wants to drive a classic car, but wants it to ride and handle like a modern car, so they go to work. Then after I saw the actual show, the only thing I was left with is that I don't want to watch any further episodes because it's to edifying entertainment what Frosted Flakes are to a real breakfast.

A modern Delorean doesn't need restyling, gizmos and interior mood lighting. It needs reliability and a frame and underbody that can accomodate a more powerful engine pushed inboard and down.
    Last edited by SamHill; 06-19-2017 at 11:01 AM.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Design, like art, is very subjective to individual tastes. So it is pointless arguing anything of the sort, because who is correct?
    The person with the checkbook.

There is a difference between "is it good design" and "I would buy that design".
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast