FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What is this and where does it go?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Generally stuff like this is for two reasons. One is to prevent static electricity buildup differing between panels causing minor annoying shocks, and causing interference with the AM radio.

So a question-anyone on here actually use the AM radio?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Do they still transmit am? hehe
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10591

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Generally stuff like this is for two reasons. One is to prevent static electricity buildup differing between panels causing minor annoying shocks, and causing interference with the AM radio.

Nope! AM radio is so..... 80's...
    Jeff - 10591

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post

Static electricity build-up can actually be fatal in some rare instances. Either from the shock itself, or from being knocked to the ground where you can incur a head injury. Likewise if body panel generates enough static electricity, it could easily discharge to the fuel pump and ignite the nozzle.

Aside from radio interference, it can actually wreck havoc on the car's electrical system. All things we discovered during the Dust Bowl of the 1930's. Which as body panels all started to have dedicated ground straps since that time, it's why we don't see these problems much, and kind of take those straps for granted. Admittedly it's more of a problem in areas where dust storms are present, but static electricity is still a concern anywhere.

And yes, I still listen to AM radio myself. Sometimes you get some international news broadcasts. But more than once while wrenching in the garage, or driving some backroads in the dead of night, I have taken amusement from paranoid UFO stories and conspiracy theorists as only AM radio can provide...
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2