FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Alternator Belt Shedding after Exhaust Manifold Gasket work

My VIN:    3294

Alternator Belt Shedding after Exhaust Manifold Gasket work

Like the title says, I just noticed last Saturday while I was at a car show and showing someone the engine, my alternator / crankshaft / water pump belt is starting to fray and shred on the inside closest to the engine. It was a brand new belt I put on back in the summer of 2015, and have barely driven over 3,000 miles on it since the car has been restored.

Back in late April of this year, I had the car trailered up to DMC Midwest to have some work done on it. While it was there, they replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets on both sides of the engine. Is it possible that they had to remove the alternator to replace those parts and when re-assembling it, got something out of alignment? I haven't crawled under the car yet to see if anything sticks out as obvious, but the only thing I can think of is that it's possible a washer or shim was put back in the wrong place / order and it's now just a hair out of alignment. I did notice that somehow I ended up with all new yellow zinc plated hardware back there too. Not complaining, but it was a surprise to me. They also replaced the heat shield in front of the muffler, along with new zinc plated hardware there as well.

It's not shedding bad (i.e. chunks missing), but there are fiber strands sticking out all along the back side of the belt that weren't there before. Any clues to look for?
    Last edited by bfloyd; 06-20-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Yes, when a belt is damaged like that one of the first things you check is alignment. It is also possible there is something wrong with the belt or something is rubbing against it. Other possibilities include a damaged pulley or bad bearings or it was put on too tight or too loose or it was the wrong size.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    05457

I had a belt seemly shred for no reason. Switched to a Green Stripe brand belt, and haven't had trouble since. Is it possible you don't have a high quality belt?
    David Proehl

My VIN:    3294

Is it possible you don't have a high quality belt?
    The belt I have came with the "Major Service A/T Kit" from DMCH. The number printed on the belt actually cross-references with a Duralast Part Number from Autozone. Belts are cheap, I just need to find out why this just started happening.
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by bfloyd View Post
    The belt I have came with the "Major Service A/T Kit" from DMCH. The number printed on the belt actually cross-references with a Duralast Part Number from Autozone. Belts are cheap, I just need to find out why this just started happening.
    Sounds familiar. The belt I had was also DMCH supplied (back in about 2010). It wasn't rubbing on anything but tore itself apart in less than a year. Replaced it with a Green Stripe and haven't had issues since.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Alternator Belt Shedding after Exhaust Manifold Gasket work

There have been quality issues noted before with the belts DMCH sells. The AC belt that has the DMC logo and part number printed on it most notably.

I have not heard to much about the Alternator belts having issues.

A belt with (3000 mi) has Millions of Revolutions on it. A belt is only NEW when first installed. After it has been Run-In Once it is considered USED. A Used (run-in) belt has a lower tensioning spec. If a Used belt was tensioned to a new belt spec (or greater), it will add undue stress to it, causing possible premature failure.

I doubt its an alignment issue, assuming you have the correct spec Alternator. No, shimming is required. The one thing I have heard that can cause belt shredding, is rust pitting on the crank pulley.

https://www.gates.com/~/media/files/...ning-sheet.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 06-20-2017 at 07:52 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.