FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Replacing injector seals (and clips)

My VIN:    3937

Replacing injector seals (and clips)

Looking for any advice on replacing my injector seals. Injector clips too.

I suspect they are the originals that came with the car. I have a brand new, nice and shiny, complete set of fuel lines from DPI that I'd like to start installing and it crossed my mind that replacing the injector seals might not be too bad of an idea while I'm at it.

I went into the valley a couple of seasons ago, but didn't replace any fuel lines at the time. I had the intake off and when I put it back together, I replaced all the copper seal washers on the fuel connections. I did not move or disturb the fuel injector ends of the fuel lines though. I kept those lines on the car and off to the side while I worked, and then reconnected on the fuel distributor end only.

So I'm familiar with valley work, but would like to be able to do this job without disconnecting much of anything. How difficult is it to reach down and get at each of the six cylinder fuel injectors without removing anything above or around them other than the fuel lines themselves?

Any other parts or seals or tools I might need to get this done? Like I said, I have all the replacement fuel lines as well as a complete assortment of new copper seal washers. I haven't bought the injector seals or clips yet, so an order will need to go in for those and anything else I've missed before getting started regardless.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It isn't that hard except for the one in front on the left side. Easier if you remove (or at least loosen) the idle motor. If the clips aren't bent broken or missing, you can reuse the old ones.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    3937

Ok, sounds simple enough.

And excuse the ignorance, but do the injectors just "pull" out? Meaning, do you just tug on them like you do the spark plug wires and they "pop" off/out, or is there something more to it than that? I don't mean the fuel line connected to the end of it, I mean how they are held into the block. I can't quite envision how the clip part works, so that's why I ask.

Funny how we all become mini-experts on the areas of our cars we've worked on (out of necessity usually). This is just one area I've never fooled around with yet.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Ok, sounds simple enough.

And excuse the ignorance, but do the injectors just "pull" out? Meaning, do you just tug on them like you do the spark plug wires and they "pop" off/out, or is there something more to it than that? I don't mean the fuel line connected to the end of it, I mean how they are held into the block. I can't quite envision how the clip part works, so that's why I ask.

Funny how we all become mini-experts on the areas of our cars we've worked on (out of necessity usually). This is just one area I've never fooled around with yet.
    I use a flat head screwdriver to pop off the retaining clips. They have small metallic legs that hold in place.

Once you pop the clip off by prying it loose with a screwdriver the injectors will just lift right out. You slide the old seal off, slide the new one on, slip the injector back in and snap the clip back on. Make sure when you slide the new seal on you feel it seat on the injector. To get the clip off you pry one of the three legs and then a second one and you can work the 3rd one off easily. I use a long, thin screwdriver. Don't over-bend the clip or you will damage it. Bend it just enough to get it off. You do not need to disconnect the fuel line.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

I use a very long bolt to pull the clips up. But anything that fits with a little lip that can catch on the clip (three clips on each) will work. You will probably need to cut the old seals off the injectors.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16409

In my experience the injector boots harden with age. I usually takes a sharp razor blade to cut them off. Once they get hard it is very difficult to slide the old ones off. Just be careful with the blade. If you want, you can get the seals here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172482162794
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    10309

If you put a couple of turns of Teflon tape around the injector it will slide easily into the rubber seal and help to make a better seal.

Quote Originally Posted by cdrusn View Post
    If you put a couple of turns of Teflon tape around the injector it will slide easily into the rubber seal and help to make a better seal.
    You should not need (and should not use) teflon tape with new injector seals. I do it on old seals as a temporary measure and I wrap it on the seal so it will not leak vacuum between the seal and the sleeve NOT between the seal and the injector. The old seals get hard and shrink to the point where they do not seal completely. If the injector is loose when you remove it you know right away the seal is bad. When you use the new seals you must use a bit of force to put the injector and seal back into the motor.
    David Teitelbaum