FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All liners are STUCK

My VIN:    10686

All liners are STUCK

I have my engine torn down, during this process i took the pistons out of the liner sleeves after no sucess with removing the liners. I was fully expecting and hoping to dislodge the liner sleeves when i removed the heads. well that did not happen, turning the crank with the pistons still attached did not work, so I just took the pistons out. they are labeled to go with the correct sleeve.

Now I had the block washed in one of the dishwasher type machines, yea great its not greasy anymore. Those darn sleeves are still in there! I have tried heat from a torch.... no movement......

I attemped to use a hammer then realized I had better stop before this gets worse.

Any ideas?

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Are you replacing the liners completely? If you have put any heat to the bottom leading edge where it contacts the block this will warp the liners out of round beyond use. Best way if you are not going to reuse is to use a brass drift to knock the liner free.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    16795

I made a special tool that fit on top of the liners but inside the cylinder hole and then used a shop press to push out the liners.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?47...ll=1#post67647

yes i did put some heat to it for a minuet, still nothing. I sprayed some pb blaster in there and let it soak, still nothing. So if i remove the liners I cannot reuse them?

When i sprayed the PB blaster and let it sit nothing leaked through, so these liners must be in there good.

Liners are roughly .070 at the base where they are seated in the block. Any direct heat to this area without applying to the entire part (IE during engine operation) will distort the liner. At this point we have taken apart hundreds of PRV's (nearing 1000 actually) and I can count on one hand the number of times liners were stuck to a degree like Jason posted above. All of the engines with stuck liners were either boosted BAE/island cars or known to have been over heated heavily. I would be looking for liners at this point. What do the piston skirts look like? Any broken ring lans?

Sales pitch part: we make very high quality but expensive piston/liner sets. You can beat the heck out of these with lots of boost. But... Check out Ed Uding at DeLorean Europe. He has a released a new liner/piston set up for owners looking for OEM performance.
    Last edited by Delorean Industries; 06-27-2017 at 08:27 PM.

this is the no 6 piston, this one has the most severe marking, the other ones had a little less than this.

IMG_1169.JPG

That is a bad sign. How are your bearings?

Can't get a photo now. But both have some scoring to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The best way to determine what you can reuse (if anything) is to take all of the parts to a good machine shop and have it all examined and measured. With scoring on the piston like that you will not be reusing that one at least! Once you know what can be reused and what cannot you start pricing parts. It often can be less expensive to replace parts rather than have machine work done on your old stuff. Even with new parts there is some amount of machine work. For example you may want to have all of the moving parts balanced. That would be the piston assemblies, crank and flywheel. You may want the con rods bead blasted. It is done for stress relief. Talk to the machine shop and see what else you want to do.
    David Teitelbaum

Ok here is a picture of part of the main bearing and part of the rod bearing. Suddenly im thinking that new pistons and sleeves are in my future...... I guess ill just have to knock out the sleeves and see how the mating surface is with the block....... DAMN!

main
    IMG_1171.JPG

rod
    IMG_1172.JPG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast