FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Engine Compartment Question

Engine Compartment Question

Just received my first DeLorean ever today. How do you release the steel cover which covers the engine in the engine Department? I cannot seem to find a cable release anywhere. Sorry, I'm a Rookie.

Josh

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Quote Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post
    Just received my first DeLorean ever today. How do you release the steel cover which covers the engine in the engine Department? I cannot seem to find a cable release anywhere. Sorry, I'm a Rookie.

Josh
    Open the drivers door and look under the rear glass left side beside the speaker grill. There is a T handle pull lever.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

cover release

Reach behind drivers seat at the back wall in
    the corner is a T-shaped handle.....

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Engine Compartment Question

Don't you mean right side?

If you're looking behind the driver seat at the rear glass, it's stuffed in the right hand corner under the glass behind the cargo net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dn010; 06-29-2017 at 02:28 PM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by beatboy77 View Post

Josh

Open the rear sunshade. That unlocks in the center, rear. Then go behind the driver's seat all the way to the rear and up, just below the window you should see a black handle. Pull it till you feel it unlock the engine cover. Open the engine cover and it locks with the mechanism in the center. To close it you MUST unlock that mechanism by pushing on it. DO NOT TRY CLOSING THE ENGINE COVER BEFORE UNLATCHING THE HOLD-OPEN MECHANISM!

The battery is behind the passenger seat.

There is a locking cubby behind the driver's seat for valuables, the glove box doesn't lock.

Check your tire pressures, they are on a label on the glove box door.

As a new owner read the owner's manual, there is a lot of good info in it.

Check ALL of the fluid levels.
    David Teitelbaum

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I am a rookie when it comes to the engine cover and louvers. I know how to open them and what not to do like trying to force the engine cover closed while it's latched to the support. However, I am not exactly sure how to release the engine cover support since it is now locked in place. It feels so flimsy that I'm afraid I'm going to break something. The owner's manual does not specify how to close the cover, just how to open and lock it in place. Any help is appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Valley PD View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I am a rookie when it comes to the engine cover and louvers. I know how to open them and what not to do like trying to force the engine cover closed while it's latched to the support. However, I am not exactly sure how to release the engine cover support since it is now locked in place. It feels so flimsy that I'm afraid I'm going to break something. The owner's manual does not specify how to close the cover, just how to open and lock it in place. Any help is appreciated!
    Disregard. This guy above is an idiot who luckily has an engineer brother who happened to stop by his house. You can all make fun of men at the convention next month!

My VIN:    3937

If you want to give yourself a laugh anyway, have a close look at the little icon that is on the end of that release handle for the lower engine cover. You might need to get in there pretty far and look in at it with a flashlight. Not exactly how you'd expect to see a DeLorean depicted!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

P7154353.jpg
    Another endearing peculiarity.

Ron

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    P7154353.jpg
    Another endearing peculiarity.

Ron
    Haha, there you go!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast