FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill's modified crumple tube

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    It isn't pretty, but it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    Bill,

I wasn't rude to you. Why did you suddenly decide to be rude to me?
    Its probably because you and I know each other so you can blame me.
    Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    Try losing some hostility, and you may find that you get along with others much better.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    How thick is that crumple tube metal?
    I'm guessing 18 gauge. Can't accurately measure mine now because it has so much paint layered on it (and a couple pieces of 1/8" aluminum). It is noticeably thinner than the pieces that make up the shock tower.

I made a couple of unpleasant discoveries while stripping #2508's extension and shock towers:
    - The bottom of the crossmember is not made of one piece of steel -- it's actually 3 or 4 layers of sheet metal laying on top of each other
    - There is absolutely no vertical reinforcement inside the crumple extension whatsoever. It is completely supported by the 4 pieces of sheet metal that make up its outer skin. On #2508, both pieces by the steering rack boots were badly bent (probably the type of damage that prompted the recall brackets -- I have seen several DeLoreans bent in exactly the same place). I straightened them out with 6 inch channel locks, but they had already started to fatigue tear on the edges. That is why I replicated #5939's aluminum channels (at the time I anticipated using a stock LCA's, which put very significant vertical loads on the crumple extension).
    - I couldn't see any evidence of spot welding on the shock towers. The only weld beads are at the top. That is why I ran a bead down the front (joins the original two bottom sections together, and my new upper plates to the original top section). I also ran beads inside the bottom of the shock towers.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207; 09-08-2011 at 08:21 AM.

My VIN:    4 Seater DMC24

Club(s):   (DMA)

I'm guessing 18 gauge. Can't accurately measure mine now because it has so much paint layered on it (and a couple pieces of 1/8" aluminum). It is noticeably thinner than the pieces that make up the shock tower.

I made a couple of unpleasant discoveries while stripping #2508's extension and shock towers:
    - The bottom of the crossmember is not made of one piece of steel -- it's actually 3 or 4 layers of sheet metal laying on top of each otherBill Robertson
    That's incorrect. If your car was like that it was either:

a) Poor repair by previous owner

b) Rusted so badly that the metal was separating into layers.

John

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

The metal that makes up the sides of the crumple tube are extremely thin; I believe the top and bottom are thicker gauge.

I grafted the front section of my frame from the crumple tube down to the middle "Y" of the fuel tank area and welded using MIG. It has been fine for about 7 or 8 years now, even with hitting terrible pot holes in upstate NY.

The thing I'd be concerned about is layering metal- one on top of the other without sealing it - it will hold water in between and start rusting. I've used KBS, POR, etc and water still finds a way to the metal after years (vibration-movement wearing paint down? who knows)....
    Last edited by dn010; 09-08-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Banned

The whole frame is made of layered metal. Look at the shock towers -- they are a conglomeration of a bunch of individual pieces, hopefully spot welded together. The only weld beads are at the top.

This is what I found when I wire wheeled the front of #2508's crossmember:
    CrossmemberCossSection.JPG

The epoxy coating hides a lot of mischief. When you strip it off you can really see how the thing was put together. For example, the tubes that hold the crumple extension to the frame are actually two sheet metal U channels welded together.

My biggest concern was vertical loads. The sway bar continuously pushes and especially pulls (braking) on the crumple extension as it tries to keep the lower control arms in place. The crumple extension is fine side to side -- it's the vertical dimension that seems to be particularly vulnerable. That is why I replicated #5939's side channels on #2508. Not only do they reinforce the original crumple extension structure, but they bridge the gaps around the steering rack where there originally was no vertical support whatsoever.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207; 09-08-2011 at 09:37 AM.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

... #5939's side channels. Not only do they reinforce the original crumple extension structure, but they bridge the gap around the steering rack where there originally was no vertical support whatsoever.
    It's for this reason I would like to have a look at those templates. The next time I put the car in the air it will be for radiator fan replacement -- I might as well do the work on the front suspension while I've got that area apart.

If the templates aren't small enough to post on DMCTalk, I could put them on the GCD website.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Banned

CrumpleExtension1.JPG

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    4 Seater DMC24

Club(s):   (DMA)

What I'm saying is - that plate at the bottom of the crossmember could appear to have been made up of many sheets if it is severly rusted through, however it was not made that way. It was a rectangle made from a single layer of 2mm/2.5mm or so plate.

Here are some pics from when I opened up one of mine - it's pretty clear that it is made from a single layer of ordinary steel sheet.

More at this link:

http://www.delorean.ie/chassis3.html

It is definitely not many layers of very thin metal somehow held together - that would make no sense. Why would they go to all that trouble instead of just using ordinary 2mm plate.

Sure, there are areas where there is a double skin on the chassis, such as on the shock towers, but the plate at the bottom of the front cross member is not such an area.

John

Banned

And people have the audacity to criticize my frame....

With all due respect, neither of my frames have ever looked like that.

Bill Robertson

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

And people have the audacity to criticize my frame....
    Who's criticized?
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast