FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fielding Interest - Trading Stage I Exhaust for Stock System (CA Owner)

My VIN:    3997

Fielding Interest - Trading Stage I Exhaust for Stock System (CA Owner)

Hello! So. Allow me to vent for a bit....

So, as I am sure a lot of you have seen on here, it is getting close to impossible to pass CA smog emissions, and our cars are slowly being choked out of passing in this state.
    The bar is constantly being lowered and its becoming more and more difficult to pass smog.
    I have tweaked many things, and have failed smog twice this last year and have been unable to pass smog requirements. So as of now, my car sits idly in my garage since I can't drive it.

It is always a struggle to try and pass the NOX category (Nitrous Oxide) of the smog test. I am starting to see more and more CA owners struggle to meet these standards. I am afraid in the next few years, the state of CA will put our cars into the "Gross Polluter" category, which would almost totally eliminate anyone from passing smog with an aftermarket system. There have been many attempts in recent years to pass a new bill to allow cars under 1985 to be exempt from smog, but alas, the government in CA doesn't agree/care about classic cars being snubbed off the road. Currently the limit is for cars 75 and older are exempt from smog requirements. There are always the rumors that cars who register as "classics" or "historical vehicles" are exempt. But this isn't the truth.

I am fed up and tired with trying to pass every two years and trying to jump over hurdles to make it work. Yes, it is possible to replace the catalytic converters. I have previously contacted the company who makes the cats for DMC-CA. Each cat, costs around 220 shipping. I would then need to remove my existing cats and have them welded onto the existing pipes. So in the neighborhood of 500+ to replace the cats. But again, this might allow me to pass this round. But if the state decides to lower the bar further, it will just become impossible to meet their standards.

Sp. I am trying to think for a LONG-TERM solution. I am thinking about giving up having my Stage I Houston Exhaust and trading it with a member here for a nice, gently used, stock exhaust system. Preferably an 83 type system with the nice cut tailpipes. My car has Stage I & II. This would be a down grade for me....but for me to continue enjoying driving my car, I feel like at this point sacrifices must be made....

Houston wants 2,150 for their exhaust new.
    https://store.delorean.com/p-10337-s...t-upgrade.aspx

I am willing to field some offers from members on here if anyone is interested in a trade. Preferably someone who has a low-mileage system. I would consider a used stock system plus maybe some cash. PM me or feel free to post here. I appreciate any comments or suggestions to my dilemma. Maybe convince me out of giving up my nice exhaust. Or tell me you think I'm right. Or just give your input.

Thanks.

-Ryan
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

Follow up thought.

I *could* purchase these catalytic converters.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Catalytic-Co...53.m1438.l2649

They are the similar to the cats that Josh uses for his systems, if I'm not mistaken. But these don't meet "CA air resources board" requirements. Some of me just wanted to buy them and give it a shot. Have them installed upside down, since some smog shops/techs will physically get underneath the car and read the numbers on the cats, and will automatically fail you if they don't meet standards.

So in case this would be brought up, I already prodded at the idea.

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Any interest in an old cat? Also have the muffler. 1981 though. Also have other bits like charcoal container I think. Might just be easier to join reasonable people and move out of CA.
    Last edited by SamHill; 06-30-2017 at 06:43 AM.

Exhaust.

I feel sorry for you, here in Perth Australia no smog testing and I don't even have a cat converter.
    Would love a stage 1 exhaust but too expensive to buy and ship here as the Aussie dollar sucks at the moment.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

I agree with Sammy hill. Why do you guys live in that dictatorship... basic human rights are superceded by this terrible idea that California isn't going to break off and fall into the ocean and that you guys alone can make a difference. I'll compile a list of smog shops that I know of that you can pay to get what you want. But seriously consider moving man.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Cool

Ryan, I have the 83 (20069) with 11,000 on the clock when exhaust was removed. It does not have the cut back pipes but I believe all the parts are still there
    clogging up the shop. The heat shield may be rotted but replaceable. Manifolds are good may be missing a hold down clamp or brace. Most of the exhaust came in boxes
    when I purchased the car.

How to get to Colifornia?

Steve

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    Follow up thought.

I *could* purchase these catalytic converters.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Catalytic-Co...53.m1438.l2649

They are the similar to the cats that Josh uses for his systems, if I'm not mistaken. But these don't meet "CA air resources board" requirements. Some of me just wanted to buy them and give it a shot. Have them installed upside down, since some smog shops/techs will physically get underneath the car and read the numbers on the cats, and will automatically fail you if they don't meet standards.

So in case this would be brought up, I already prodded at the idea.
    I'm almost certain that the Cats that Josh uses actually *are* CARB approved. The problem is that the manifolds are not. And even if your car's emissions are cleaner than stock, you'll still fail smog because of those manifolds.

This is why when it came time to move, we decided not to move out to California. I have no problem with emissions laws, and even if we stayed in Texas where they are not required, I'd still keep the catalytic convertors to help stay clean. But California is insane on it's emissions rules. Between that and their registration rules for dormant vehicles, it is a state which hates cars. Not just classic cars, but ALL vehicles.

We have a 2014 Ford Focus. 2014! A vehicle from the 21st century, and it's illegal to register in California! Hell, I technically can't even bring it with me on vacation for more than 2 weeks according to state law.

Honestly, cross over the border into Nevada. Emissions allowances are double on the tolerances, registration is only $60 give or take depending upon county, and if you do get smog-exempt plates they give you an annual allowance of 5,000 miles.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I have a complete stock exhaust system I can trade you for your Stage 11. Even swap, we each pay shipping 1 way.
    David Teitelbaum

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    I agree with Sammy hill. Why do you guys live in that dictatorship... basic human rights are superceded by this terrible idea that California isn't going to break off and fall into the ocean and that you guys alone can make a difference. I'll compile a list of smog shops that I know of that you can pay to get what you want. But seriously consider moving man.
    Moving out of CA is a great option if you have no family and no stable job.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I have a complete stock exhaust system I can trade you for your Stage 11. Even swap, we each pay shipping 1 way.
    Hey David Ill send you a PM

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast