FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Wheel / Rim paint code needed

Wheel / Rim paint code needed

Its time to repaint or powder coat these rims and i have searched the forum but haven't found any help on the wheel paint color code.

It's been requested a couple times on this forum but unanswered. Maybe there is a close to the stock light silver that someone can recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BTW I'm researching places around the Los Angeles area for powder coating. Looks like i might try Tru-Wheel or Alpha AutoSports. LMK if anyone has a suggestion.
    Last edited by zimvsdib; 06-26-2017 at 06:46 PM.

My VIN:    15275

Hi

there is a company called Columbia coatings. I bought some of their wheel silver and did mine.. but I powdercoat stuff...lol.. they have tons of chips that you could look thru and pick for a shop to use..

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by zimvsdib View Post
    Its time to repaint or powder coat these rims....
    BTW I'm researching places around the Los Angeles area for powder coating. ....LMK if anyone has a suggestion.
    Try Wheels America. 8 nationwide locations. The L.A. location is in Buena Park.

http://www.wheelsamerica.com/

Their location in the SF Bay Area comes highly recommended by a former D owner.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Thanks for the info! i'lll give them a try.

Anyone have a color code?

Quote Originally Posted by painterdave72 View Post
    there is a company called Columbia coatings. I bought some of their wheel silver and did mine.. but I powdercoat stuff...lol.. they have tons of chips that you could look thru and pick for a shop to use..
    Do you have any pictures of your finished wheels?

BTW you don't live in California do you? I'd give you my business (got 2 sets to paint).

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Try Wheels America. 8 nationwide locations. The L.A. location is in Buena Park.

http://www.wheelsamerica.com/

Their location in the SF Bay Area comes highly recommended by a former D owner.
    Thanks! do you have any pictures of their finished wheels?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by zimvsdib View Post
    Thanks! do you have any pictures of their finished wheels?
    No, have not seen a set of D wheels from them, have only passed by the shop to see where they are in case I need any wheel work someday. The recommendation from the former D owner was based on their work on his non-D's wheels.

Their website shows examples of before-after wheel refinishing success stories if that's useful to you.

As for a paint code I suggest you try calling them to see what they normally do on painted wheels of any kind. One guess is that they can optically scan a good portion of any wheel and then try for a match to that. Since it's powder coating I'm not sure how many shades of a given color they can shoot. Somebody mentioned matching to color chips.

Another guess is that with several Wheels America shops nationwide the one near you can perhaps get advice from any of their other shops that might have done D wheels before?
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Make sure you see examples of their work or get references from local customers. Wheels America is a franchise and the work can range from good to awful.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC