FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: New DMCH inner door seal

My VIN:    4665

New DMCH inner door seal

Stumbled across this on the DMCTexas facebook page today. Posted on June 11 is a note about a new improved inner door seal being available.

Here's what they say:
    A year or so ago, while going through our set of DeLorean factory engineering drawings, we found a revised version of the inner door seal that was scheduled to go into production in early 1982, but receivership got in the way of that. See the attached ECA that released this part for production.

We took the accompanying drawings and tooled up to make this factory designed, revised part and tested samples on our cars here for six months or so and have been very happy with them. these are now available.

Anyone know anything about these? Are they thinner?

Had both inner and outer seals on my doors replaced last year and confident they were installed correctly, but still seem to require more force to close than I would expect. Doors were looked at and adjusted by DMCMW at same time. Performed all the recommendations like leaving doors closed for weeks at a time, and letting car sit in hot sun to build up some heat with doors closed hoping to get them to form better, which did help a bit, but still, I hate the force required to close the door with panels flush. I do think they are a bit on the thick side. Was always hoping that Grady would find his way to a tech session in Michigan to get some first hand advice. (Maybe I need to set up a tech session as I now have available a garage with lift).

Thoughts?
    Steve

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

If you want them done 100% correct, then your best bet is to have Rob do them. I was fortunate to catch him on a trip to the west coast where he spent a solid full day on my doors which were in pretty bad shape. The biggest adjustment to make has to do with the GRP (fiberglass) body being too thick around the inner door seal. Or I should say, the lip that the inner door seal sits on...you know that one?....that lip is too thick. It needs to be ground down and thinned from about 1/4" or so down to about 1/8". That lets the inner door seal sit straight up and down rather than inward toward the driver and passenger, therefore letting the close cleanly and not getting caught up on the headliner. I'm sure you've experienced torn inner door seals and that's the reason why. Rob has definitely perfected this alteration. The thing is is that it's messy and does require skill and the right tools. But once it's done, it's done. I doubt any cars came from the factory with the doors operating exactly as designed due to the issue with the GRP body being too thick in areas. Factor in synchronizing the door locks, lock/latch procedure, striker adjustment, and some other adjustments, the doors get to be a pretty involved operation and one quickly sees why they were one of the (if not the) most problematic areas of the car.

My doors are working awesome now and require very little effort. I have to catch him on one more trip out here but for some minor door things and then I'll never touch those things again. That's the little trick with the doors: once they're good, don't ever adjust a thing on them again. In fact, don't even look at them.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

I installed these recently:

https://www.deloreango.com/us/inner-door-seals.html

They are thinner (less bulb, more sweep) and allow the door to close more easily.

Hey never seen those before, how good are they ?
    Are they sealing correctly ?
    Do they stop the air noise when driving fast ?

Thanks,
    Elvis & 6548

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Hey never seen those before, how good are they ?
    Are they sealing correctly ?
    Do they stop the air noise when driving fast ?

Thanks,
    Elvis & 6548
    They are sealing correctly for me.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I also installed the DeloreaGo seals right before the DMCMW open house. no more seal drag and I did not notice any abnormal air noises while driving at interstate speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.