FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Is the DFW-DMC Delorean sales site a fraud?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    It's weird I only found one of those plastic spacers. What happens if you don't have the spacer on the radio knobs? Seems like the radio knobs would work with or without it.
    The knobs would work fine. The radio will stick out the dash too far and look dumb, and with only one of them it won't be straight or will rattle.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Yes, I have emailed multiple different address' with no response. I'm just canceling the order.
    The best way to install a new radio? Cut the plug off the car harness. Leave 2 inches or so of wire on the plug in the very off-chance you ever want to hook it back up. You won't. The new radio will have it's own plug with a bunch of wires hanging out. Typically 4 dual speaker wires, a hot power wire, a switched power wire, an antenna trigger wire, and a couple of grounds.

Connect the new wiring plug to the car harness per the instructions that come with the radio. When you are done you'll have a plug inline so you can easily pull the radio out. If you mess around with trying to keep the old plug in use, you end up with two plugs in series about 3 inches apart. More places to fail.

One other thing - on the original DMC radios, the switched power is the high power lead that actually powers the radio. The constant on lead only keeps the radio memory (and clock if you have one) alive. Modern radios are the opposite - the hot lead is the high power lead and the switched lead just tells the radio whether or not to be on. If you connect the new radio to the old DMC fuses that are still in the wiring, you'll probably blow the constant hot fuse the first time you turn up the radio.

The new radio will have its own fuses, just bypass the DMC fuses and use them.

In the case of high power radios, you may need to route a new hot lead to the back of the car as the original wiring for that is kind of light. A new ground to the main chassis ground isn't a bad idea either, as the DMC ground in that area is a stack of connections on the right side of the console plate and tends to be a poor ground point.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    5470

It's been 3 weeks since I ordered a DeLorean stereo wiring harness from dfwdmc.com. I've emailed multiple times (there is no phone number) and nobody has let me know what is going on. Does anyone here know anything about this site? Is it fake? Any information would be appreciated.

Also does anybody know of someone else who sells a DeLorean harness for aftermarket stereos?

http://dfwdmc.com/store_parts.html
    You should see a refund soon. I ordered some of the DMC stickers for my shift knob and after a while I got a refund and a reply saying they were no longer in business. I didn't need to cancel.

Not sure why things like that don't cause him to just take the site down??

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    The best way to install a new radio? Cut the plug off the car harness. Leave 2 inches or so of wire on the plug in the very off-chance you ever want to hook it back up. You won't. The new radio will have it's own plug with a bunch of wires hanging out. Typically 4 dual speaker wires, a hot power wire, a switched power wire, an antenna trigger wire, and a couple of grounds.

Connect the new wiring plug to the car harness per the instructions that come with the radio. When you are done you'll have a plug inline so you can easily pull the radio out. If you mess around with trying to keep the old plug in use, you end up with two plugs in series about 3 inches apart. More places to fail.

One other thing - on the original DMC radios, the switched power is the high power lead that actually powers the radio. The constant on lead only keeps the radio memory (and clock if you have one) alive. Modern radios are the opposite - the hot lead is the high power lead and the switched lead just tells the radio whether or not to be on. If you connect the new radio to the old DMC fuses that are still in the wiring, you'll probably blow the constant hot fuse the first time you turn up the radio.

The new radio will have its own fuses, just bypass the DMC fuses and use them.

In the case of high power radios, you may need to route a new hot lead to the back of the car as the original wiring for that is kind of light. A new ground to the main chassis ground isn't a bad idea either, as the DMC ground in that area is a stack of connections on the right side of the console plate and tends to be a poor ground point.
    A couple of more points in connecting up a new radio. You definitely do need to cut the old plug off. You must separate the speaker grounds, many modern radios do not like common speaker grounds and you may blow the output transistors. The power and speaker wiring is rather "light" and you should replace it all with heavier gauge. Can't do that if you leave the original plug in place.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    16409

On my car the antenna will only go up when FM or AM is selected. It stays in the down position if I'm using the iPod input. I wonder how the antenna trigger is wired up. In most installs, I see the antenna goes up whenever the radio is on. You really don't need the antenna if you're using a music player.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    10270

Many - if not most - aftermarket car stereos have separate Antenna and Remote (amp) triggers. The last 3 stereos I've had in my DMC have been that way.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3