FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is the DFW-DMC Delorean sales site a fraud?

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    So... Simplest method to wire a modern stereo in would be to use the plug for everything but 3 of the speaker grounds and then take the 3 speaker grounds from the delorean side and hard wire them together with the 3 negative ground wires coming out of my new stereo harness? Is that good or am I missing something?

Or do I need to run new ground wires to all my speakers then into the new stereo?

I'm a little confused.
    the original radio has 2 common grounds: on left side speakers AND right side speakers
    so you can add 4 new ground wires or retain the originals just for the rear and add 2 new ground wires for the front
    and you should add a new wire for the radio light..
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    5433

I used this plug to connect my RetroSound radio. I connected the left front and rear common wires together and the same with right side.
    No need for extra wires and works like a charm.

My VIN:    2848

Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    the original radio has 2 common grounds: on left side speakers AND right side speakers
    so you can add 4 new ground wires or retain the originals just for the rear and add 2 new ground wires for the front
    and you should add a new wire for the radio light..
    Gotcha. First I've heard of adding a new wire for the radio light. Can you tell me why? Where do you run this new wire to the radio light to?
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

When I pulled out my center console I found this one inch plastic spacer washer laying in the pile of wires and I can't figure out where it goes. Can someone tell me where it goes.IMG_3478.jpg
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Depends on the radio. Many modern high powered units do not like having any of the speaker wiring connected together, each speaker channel needs 2 wires to the radio unit.

The original wiring in the car brings two wires from each speaker all the way to the connector, and then ties the "grounds" all together at the connector. You can simply cut them apart at the connector, but then you have more connections to make than you can get in that connector.

Many stereo geeks rewire the wiring all the way to the speakers, but if you are running a relatively tame stereo it will work just fine with the original wires.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Depends on the radio. Many modern high powered units do not like having any of the speaker wiring connected together, each speaker channel needs 2 wires to the radio unit.

The original wiring in the car brings two wires from each speaker all the way to the connector, and then ties the "grounds" all together at the connector. You can simply cut them apart at the connector, but then you have more connections to make than you can get in that connector.

Many stereo geeks rewire the wiring all the way to the speakers, but if you are running a relatively tame stereo it will work just fine with the original wires.
    Any idea where this plastic spacer washer goes behind the dash, Dave? I can't figure out where it goes. Also where do you run the illumination wire off a modern stereo to on the DeLorean? Does it get tied into the switched power wire?
    IMG_3478.jpg
    Last edited by Totally 80s; 07-05-2017 at 11:40 AM.
    -Alex

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    Any idea where this plastic spacer washer goes behind the dash, Dave? I can't figure out where it goes. Also where do you run the illumination wire off a modern stereo to on the DeLorean?
    http://store.delorean.com/c-286-3-8-0-audio-system.aspx

Part ID 6. You don't need it if you are not reinstalling the original radio. This means that someone pulled the radio the shortcut way (through the upper vent) and the spacer fell off.

Depends on when you want it to light up. Easiest is to tap one of the 4 bulbs on the HVAC panel, and rewire the panel relay so that it only lights up with the headlights on. That should cause the radio panel to dim at night. Otherwise you can go to the rheostat, that is powered when the lights are on to light up the dash. Most radios light up whether or not you connect that lead, it's only to dim the display at night.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    http://store.delorean.com/c-286-3-8-0-audio-system.aspx

Part ID 6. You don't need it if you are not reinstalling the original radio. This means that someone pulled the radio the shortcut way (through the upper vent) and the spacer fell off.

Depends on when you want it to light up. Easiest is to tap one of the 4 bulbs on the HVAC panel, and rewire the panel relay so that it only lights up with the headlights on. That should cause the radio panel to dim at night. Otherwise you can go to the rheostat, that is powered when the lights are on to light up the dash. Most radios light up whether or not you connect that lead, it's only to dim the display at night.
    I see, I don't drive it that often at night. I may not worry about it. Thanks for the explanation.

It's weird I only found one of those plastic spacers. What happens if you don't have the spacer on the radio knobs? Seems like the radio knobs would work with or without it.
    -Alex

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    I believe that site is owned/run by Video Bob. http://dfwdmc.com/. I think it used to be the Dallas/Fort Worth area club web-site, but morphed more into VB's prop-car business. Then, I think he switched his business over to FB, and may have abandoned the old site.

I have tried to contact VB a number of times in the past year or so to get the latest count of his BTTF conversions, but I haven't gotten a response. If anyone knows about any of Bob's latest BTTF cars, please chime in (for the record book, of course).

Thomas

Yea that's VBs web site. I don't know him personally but when he is around on this board, he's usually in the BTTF or parts sections of the forum. You might try this URL for contact info if you haven't already: http://www.bobspropshop.com/
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    Yea that's VBs web site. I don't know him personally but when he is around on this board, he's usually in the BTTF or parts sections of the forum. You might try this URL for contact info if you haven't already: http://www.bobspropshop.com/
    Yes, I have emailed multiple different address' with no response. I'm just canceling the order.
    -Alex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast