FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Delorean review and question

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    DMC Northwest has been working on developing a rear antiroll bar for some time. That should dramatically help with the excessive body roll the DeLorean exhibits, especially if you consider that 65% of the weight of the car is over the rear wheels. That's an awful lot of polar inertia which is not being reigned in.

Like others have said, modern shocks & tires help dramatically too (as does lowering the front end). I see you stated the car has new(er) tires... but is it still running on it's original (or NOS) Girling shock absorbers? They have an odd combination of hard ride with little aid in controlling unwanted body motion. 21st century shock absorber technology performs staggering wonders for both ride & handling on DeLoreans.
    I'll have to check with him on what shocks he uses, good thing to know. It'd be nice if they came out with the antiroll bar sometime soon.

"Dangermouse" I'll have to check into if he made the switch or not. (Poly VS. Rubber) 30 yr old shocks? Really? You may want to change them out!

"Jammer96" I agree the car looks much sharper lowered, the one thing I wish he had done to his "D" and I will be doing to mine when I get it.

Thanks for the give and take guys!

Lowering springs and shocks to replace the 30 year old ones make a big difference. I have poly bushings and the LCA and front sway bar and I don't think it makes a big increase the the NVH. The front strut bar will also help with body roll.

I am assuming that you don't already own a DeLorean with this next part.

You need to remember that the DeLorean has manual steering and will transmit alot more "feedback" through the system then a car with power assist.
    It sounds bad but I also think you need to lower your expectations a bit. Its a car that was designed in the late 70's and rushed into production by a largely untrained workforce. It lackes all of the technology and creature comforts that make new cars perform so much better than their older counterparts. A masterpiece, yes but a 30 year old one.

Quote Originally Posted by thegovernor9912 View Post
    Lowering springs and shocks to replace the 30 year old ones make a big difference. I have poly bushings and the LCA and front sway bar and I don't think it makes a big increase the the NVH. The front strut bar will also help with body roll.

I am assuming that you don't already own a DeLorean with this next part.

You need to remember that the DeLorean has manual steering and will transmit alot more "feedback" through the system then a car with power assist.
    It sounds bad but I also think you need to lower your expectations a bit. Its a car that was designed in the late 70's and rushed into production by a largely untrained workforce. It lackes all of the technology and creature comforts that make new cars perform so much better than their older counterparts. A masterpiece, yes but a 30 year old one.

I'm truly hoping that a few upgrades can smooth the ride out, if I had to buy one and be stuck with the ride of my friends car I'd have to pass on it. And saying that doesn't come easy to me.

I boat and if any of you do or have taken out a small boat on a choppy day the boat will slam into the waves, you feel every bump and it can be fun but not enjoyable, I felt the same way behind the wheel of the Delorean, THRILLED! But not enjoying the ride.

I've driven quite a few exotics over the years and always found them to have a choppy ride, for that reason I'd never buy one, I need some comfort in my ride.

Are my expectations too high? Or do you think the shock factor can be softened?

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Your expectations are probably too high. The car will never have that smooth of a ride and, if you want that, buy a Cadillac. It'll always have some stiffness and bumps due to the very nature of the steering and suspension system.

This is also why its important to test drive a car you're considering purchasing to see if its the right fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Your expectations are probably too high. The car will never have that smooth of a ride and, if you want that, buy a Cadillac. It'll always have some stiffness and bumps due to the very nature of the steering and suspension system.

This is also why its important to test drive a car you're considering purchasing to see if its the right fit.
    I'm not looking for a "Cadillac ride" as we've discussed before, I'm looking more for an M3 type of ride, firm but not jarring.
    The Delorean may not be for me after all, very disappointing if that is truly the case but I'll live.

I still welcome the opinions of other owners past and present for their opinions and insights (not that I discount yours but many is always better than a few).

DeLorean Owner Since 2006

My VIN:    3676

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Now, you were the one who used the term "Cadillac ride" before me. Though, if you want the feel of driving an M3, then that'd be your best bet. The DeLorean will always have its own unique, fairly rough, quasi-performance ride. Some love it, some hate it. I'd say that it feels like the car is one with the road. You can hug the turns and corner beautifully, but you feel every little characteristic in the pavement beneath you. It's a fair trade-off. This is just a part of their nature and its hard to change without spending insane amounts of money on moderate improvements. It'd be the same as taking one of my beloved '70s Cadillacs and adding in a manual transmission, rack and pinion steering, and whatever else it took to make it feel like a sports car, instead.

I'd also advise, before making up your mind, that you try a few other DeLoreans to see. For some inexplicable reason, these cars vary intensely in ride characteristics from one to the other. If you find one you like, learn what makes it that way and see if its something you want to replicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
    Now, you were the one who used the term "Cadillac ride" before me. Though, if you want the feel of driving an M3, then that'd be your best bet. The DeLorean will always have its own unique, fairly rough, quasi-performance ride. Some love it, some hate it. I'd say that it feels like the car is one with the road. You can hug the turns and corner beautifully, but you feel every little characteristic in the pavement beneath you. It's a fair trade-off. This is just a part of their nature and its hard to change without spending insane amounts of money on moderate improvements. It'd be the same as taking one of my beloved '70s Cadillacs and adding in a manual transmission, rack and pinion steering, and whatever else it took to make it feel like a sports car, instead.

I'd also advise, before making up your mind, that you try a few other DeLoreans to see. For some inexplicable reason, these cars vary intensely in ride characteristics from one to the other. If you find one you like, learn what makes it that way and see if its something you want to replicate.

Your being far too literal with your advice, if I wanted an M3 I wouldn't be posting here, it's nothing more than a description a point of reference, just like the Cadillac reference.

I also posted this up top in the forum and got some good advice about shocks, springs, tires, etc. Others think I should have little problem with softening the ride a bit. Thank you and everyone for the advice and thought placed into this question.

I will be riding in at least one or two other Deloreans prior to any deposit I place.

My VIN:    10718

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

So this is gonna sound like a pretty basic question: how does one tell if their shocks are ready to be replaced? 16432 is about to turn 128k, and I believe the shocks are original. Don't want to buy new shocks until necessary.

Does the bounce test apply to D's?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDMC12 View Post
    So this is gonna sound like a pretty basic question: how does one tell if their shocks are ready to be replaced? 16432 is about to turn 128k, and I believe the shocks are original. Don't want to buy new shocks until necessary.

Does the bounce test apply to D's?
    I've been told the bounce test went by the way side along with the 70's but that wasn't from any expert so I guess it's almost a non answer.

I've always been of the opinion that if you take a bump the shock should allow the car to come back up and stop the up and down movement at that point, any more movement then that and it's too much. Again it's only my rule of thumb.

+1

Just ride over a set of train tracks. If you get seasick your shocks need replacing.
    Obtain 'O Meter▪▼▲≡▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪FEB 7.4% -5.3% since JAN '15
    %0▪▪▪10▪▪▪20▪▪30▪▪▪40▪▪50▪▪▪60▪▪70▪▪80▪▪90▪▪100
    ▪▪▪|▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪ |

===My YouTube Channel: TheDutchTexan
    [Vlogging, DashCam Compilations & CarShows!]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast